Hi folks
I'm starting a lot of threads this weekend for some reason. Anyhoos, a question for the graduates and PP owners out there...
It dawned on me recently that I think I want to be a private practice owner in the long run. Since graduation, I've dabbled in private practice as an associate, worked in ophthalmology, taught and done academics, and even did two terms of grad school. That said, it seems the only self-sustaining business model in optometry is to actually be an owner (with ODs working under you as associates). Otherwise, in all other job models, you only make money when you do the exams YOURSELF. I'd like to be in a situation where others make money for me
That said, I'm as pessimistic as anyone about the prospects of starting a private practice in a saturated urban center, which is where I will always chose to live. I've seen two classmates of mine open up together, and three years later, it's still struggling to get off the ground.
For those of you PP owners, is it better to buy a practice (at an elevated cost presumably) or start cold? Though there are aesthetic advantages to it, I don't know if I have the nerve to start cold. That said, established practices cost money, and good practices cost a lot of money.
What is the best bet way to become a successful PP owner in a saturated city in the current optometric environment?