Buying or Renting Textbooks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Avicenna

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been renting textbooks in my classes so far because it's much more economically viable than buying used; but I'm worried this will haunt me later when I'm studying for the MCAT in 2 years. Should I buy my Bio/Physics/Orgo/Chem/Psych/Sociology textbooks instead?

Did you guys refer to your textbooks when studying for the MCAT? Do the review books (especially the ones outlined by that one 3 month MCAT study schedule on this forum) cover everything you need to know in terms of science content?

Members don't see this ad.

I grabbed my genetics book one time in the 3 months I spent studying for the MCAT to review some discrete topic that came up on a practice test. I could have just as easily found what I was looking for on wikipedia.

I kept my textbooks because I wanted to, but I don't think it is necessary for MCAT review.

[post-script: I did pretty well on the test]

Never once reached for one of my old textbooks when studying for the MCAT. If what you're looking for isn't in any of your MCAT study books, it'll definitely be online. Keep renting your books and saving that cash money.

Members don't see this ad :)
By the time you're studying for the MCAT textbooks are a waste of time with too much extraneous information.

You probably won't have the time, inclination, or need to look up a textbook while you're studying for the MCAT. You can look up anything you need online if it's not in a book you already have. Keep on saving money...you can use it to buy all those MCAT books!

I never once looked at a textbook during my mcat prep. Like others have said, all the information you need that isn't covered in a prep book will be available online.