BWH/MGH vs. NYP for Emergency Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ticksweat EM

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am currently undecided between NYP and MGH/BWH for EM. Would you mind sharing with me some of the pros and cons of each program. I am particularly interested in academic medicine and would like to be program director one day. With this particular career goal in mind, which program might be a better fit. Thank you, I appreciate the time and help.

best wishes,

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone, I am currently undecided between NYP and MGH/BWH for EM. Would you mind sharing with me some of the pros and cons of each program. I am particularly interested in academic medicine and would like to be program director one day. With this particular career goal in mind, which program might be a better fit. Thank you, I appreciate the time and help.

best wishes,

You might get more responses to your post if you share some of your own thoughts about these programs. Otherwise you may simply be regarded as a free rider.

-AT.

You might get more responses to your post if you share some of your own thoughts about these programs. Otherwise you may simply be regarded as a free rider.

-AT.

Hey AT, thanks for the advice, never really used these forums before so kinda still figuring things out. I actually joined specifically to try and get help with this question.

Basically, I really like NYC and was pretty sure on NYP, then I visited the partners program and was very impressed to say the least. I know I would be happy at either place, just really want to make the right decision. I'm purposely trying to limit my opinion, really just hoping to hear from residents in each program see what they might add. Again, thank you for taking the time to help.

best,

Hey AT, thanks for the advice, never really used these forums before so kinda still figuring things out. I actually joined specifically to try and get help with this question.

Basically, I really like NYC and was pretty sure on NYP, then I visited the partners program and was very impressed to say the least. I know I would be happy at either place, just really want to make the right decision. I'm purposely trying to limit my opinion, really just hoping to hear from residents in each program see what they might add. Again, thank you for taking the time to help.

best,

hey there, I'm a resident at the BWH/MGH program. I've posted on our program in the past and there are some excellent posts on it by others--basically, if you are looking for a very strong academic program with great clinical training, this is a good place to come. We have two different primary hospitals, both with a lot of diversity in clinical training and clear graduated responsibility. For academics, we are very strong--faculty are available from HSPH, HBS, and all kinds of departments to supervise our research. Not sure what you're interested in, but we have a particularly strong international EM program with lots of faculty and residents involved in Harvard Humanitarian Initiative. Residents get tons of papers and presentations, and the split is usually at least 50% going to academic jobs post-residency.

Negatives? It is a 4-year program so negative for those who don't want that. We only have 1 community site and only 3 months of it. We do have floor medicine and surgery (thought some of us think these are good rotations and that's why they're there). We could use more elective time (I think so, but some disagree). The biggest negative is for those who don't want to do academics: if you're unsure that's one thing, but if you know you don't want to do academics, this might not be the right program for you. My two cents.

I did interview at NYP but really can't speak to the other program as I have no idea how it compares. The reason I came to m program is the fit. I wasn't going to rank any 4-yr programs but then when I came to interview, I was totally convinced that this was the right place for me.

PM me if you have specific questions.