C grade pre-requisite

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goodie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey im just wondering in terms of a % number what the minimum of a 'C' grade is..is it ~65%?

Also, i have taken both organic chemistry 1 & 2 but i noticed most schools only require one course. If i got over a C in organic 2 can that count as my pre-requisite?

Members don't see this ad.

To what numeric grade a "C" corresponds would depend on in which school you received it; typically, I think, a "C" would be 75 (65 would be a "D").

As for your orgo., II pre-requisite, you should check with the admissions departments of in which whichever colleges of optometry you're interested. I think a "C," generally, would be acceptable, albeit unimpressive.

I got C's in gen chem 1, gen chem 2, and orgo 1. Chemistry and I just don't mesh and i got into all the schools I interviewed at. Don't worry too much about a C, especially if its in organic and it's just 1.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply JennyJoy. Did you end up applying with the C's in those classes? Ive got ~60% in Gen Chem 2, Bio 1, Orgo 1 and Physics 2 and was planning to redo them.

Commando, are you sure about the C = 75? Im from canada so im wondering if the states has a different scale?..a C in canada is a 65ish.

Commando, are you sure about the C = 75? Im from canada so im wondering if the states has a different scale?..a C in canada is a 65ish.

In the schools with which I'm familiar, a "C" has corresponded with 75.

Keep in mind, just because someone with grades like yours is accepted doesn't mean you will be: even ignoring factors such as shadowing, extra-curricular activities, O.A.T. scores, etc., the very fact of when you get your application in will affect your chances of admission.

I got my applications in the first week in february. Considering all my C's were in my first 2 year of college and i only had 3 and the rest of my grades for science except for 2 were A's probably played a factor. Your C's are spread throughout three subject topics so that may pose a problem. A C is a C on a transcript unless your percentage shows which my school doesn't put that on there. Though my C's were in the 70th percentile.

I didn't re-take any classes and my OAT was sub-par. but my extra currics and shadowing and volunteer is pretty good and i think my essay was pretty stellar haha.

So like people say, it's all personal.

I have a few C's but my grades are shown in %'s.

Ive heard that by redoing the courses you do bad in though, that they only look at your "new" re-done grade so i was planning on upgrading the first and second year pre-reqs i didnt do well. Is this true?

Any other insight?

I have a few C's but my grades are shown in %'s.

Ive heard that by redoing the courses you do bad in though, that they only look at your "new" re-done grade so i was planning on upgrading the first and second year pre-reqs i didnt do well. Is this true?

Any other insight?
at my school I think if you get a C they replace your grade with the new one on your transcript but for calculating gpa they use your original grade. I'm sure each school has a different policy. Ask you school what their specific policy is.

Optomcas does this for you now...and they have guidlines for you. Also if you have taken O-Chem 2, its gonna show up on your transcript, so you will need to put it down as a science course.