C- in prereqs

Started by VeganChick
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

VeganChick

Tufts University V'13
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
All the schools seem to require nothing less than a 'C' (2.0) grade in all prereqs. Will having a C- (or two) - with no extenuating circumstances explanation - automatically shut you out of consideration?
 
Of the US schools Auburn, Cornell, and VA-MD explicitly state in my OLD VMSAR that they will take C- in their pre-reqs.

UTK and Western will only take a C or better.

The others I didn't see anything specific when I was flipping through, but most have specific minimum GPAs.

If you're borderline in your stats, it would behoove you to get a VMSAR for this year so you don't waste your money applying to the wrong schools.

Just a thought....
 
If you're borderline in your stats, it would behoove you to get a VMSAR for this year so you don't waste your money applying to the wrong schools.

Just a thought....


FYI, you can get the same information here: http://www.aavmc.org/vmcas/college_requirement.htm

In some cases I found last year that these PDFs had more current information than the VMSAR. I think they've been updated for this application cycle.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
All the schools seem to require nothing less than a 'C' (2.0) grade in all prereqs. Will having a C- (or two) - with no extenuating circumstances explanation - automatically shut you out of consideration?


No. I had a C- in one of my classes and was accepted to UTK. In the 1st semester of organic chem no less. I made sure to raise my grade the next semester and didn't make a big deal out of it. It wasn't even mentioned by Dr. Brace when he explained to me which classes I still needed.
 
Thanks everyone...I feel MUCH better 🙂. I did notice that on the VMCAS site, VMRCVM says that it will not accept a C- but on their website, it says that they will.
 
I'm not sure if this has anything to do with your question, but you could retake the class for a better grade if you have time. I didn't do well in a class, retook it, and didn't do too much better, but it was above a C-. Nobody ever asked me about it in an interview.