C- in required course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NaneeDoIt

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm looking for some insight on what happens if you have a C- in a required course. I thought I'd read in a post somewhere that a C- was BAD. I've tried searching the topic on SDN and at the schools I'm applying to but can't come up with anything.

Here's my situation:

I have a C- in Organic Chemistry II. I wasn't planning on re-taking it, but if a C- would get me rejected then I will definitely re-take.

Members don't see this ad.

It is going to limit the schools that you are eligible to get an acceptance at. WVSOM, NYCOM, LECOM, and others have a cut-off of C or better in pre-reqs for the class to count. Some of the other schools don't care, but most will. Why limit yourself to schools you may not be happy with because of a C-? Retake the class. Good luck!:luck:

Hey guys! I'm looking for some insight on what happens if you have a C- in a required course. I thought I'd read in a post somewhere that a C- was BAD. I've tried searching the topic on SDN and at the schools I'm applying to but can't come up with anything.

Here's my situation:

I have a C- in Organic Chemistry II. I wasn't planning on re-taking it, but if a C- would get me rejected then I will definitely re-take.

Don't blow the final.

Take biochem I and make an A.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't blow the final.

Take biochem I and make an A.

I think the class was already completed, so I don't think that the final is even an issue. (I could be wrong about that, but it was my interpretation.)

The C- is going to be an issue for most schools. Even if the OP gets and interview at a school which requires a C or better, the acceptance would be contingent on retaking the class. So, why not retake it now and make the application stronger from the start.

Sorry. TRIPLE post. I hate my computer.... +pissed+

Thanks for the info! SDN is so awesome, esp. the pre-DO's. Whew, if it wasn't for SDN I would have never known about the 'C' cut off for some schools. I just looked at WVSOM's website (i'm interested in WVSOM), and they do say that you need a 'C' in all required courses. So, I guess I'll be re-taking OChem II this first summer session. Not something I'm looking forward to..ugh:(, but I know it'll be worth it to not give up my shot at some schools. :thumbup:
thanks guys!

Oh, sorry, yes, I completed OChem back in 2002. It's been awhile. Dr.Inviz, I already finished BioChem too..got a 'B+'.

Thanks for the info! SDN is so awesome, esp. the pre-DO's. Whew, if it wasn't for SDN I would have never known about the 'C' cut off for some schools. I just looked at WVSOM's website (i'm interested in WVSOM), and they do say that you need a 'C' in all required courses. So, I guess I'll be re-taking OChem II this first summer session. Not something I'm looking forward to..ugh:(, but I know it'll be worth it to not give up my shot at some schools. :thumbup:
thanks guys!

I know it is not what you would like to do this summer, but it is better anyway. It will help your GPA and it will look a lot better. Good luck!:luck:

SDN & PRE-OSTEO ROCK!!!!:banana: :biglove: :banana: :biglove: :D

Just do it, don't dread it....preferably, with a different prof. I bombed Orgo I (D+....had an A in gen chem, btw), and I'm retaking it now - well on the track to an A at the moment. Of course, being somewhat familiar with the material helps, but I also had a really demanding and at the same time really crappy prof for the Orgo I that I nearly failed. I wish I had not taken the course with him at all, it would've saved my GPA and mental health.

Thanks all for helping me make a decision on this! :love: Yea, taking Ochem2 again won't be the most pleasant way to spend my summer especially since I haven't had OChem since 2002 will be jumping straight into Ochem2. I don't think I should waste time re-taking OChem1 again b/c I got an 'A-' and want to get my apps out EARLY. I just signed up for OChem II for Summer 1 (starts 5/21 and ends 6/26). Therefore, I'll have a new OChem II grade in by the end of June. Let's hope for the best!!

thanks guys!

I'm with you in hating taking it in the summer. I'm retaking my D+ in OChem I and then taking OChem II, so I'm really dreading it and super worried.:scared:

Just do it, don't dread it....preferably, with a different prof. I bombed Orgo I (D+....had an A in gen chem, btw), and I'm retaking it now - well on the track to an A at the moment. Of course, being somewhat familiar with the material helps, but I also had a really demanding and at the same time really crappy prof for the Orgo I that I nearly failed. I wish I had not taken the course with him at all, it would've saved my GPA and mental health.

I could have written this exactly except I'm not taking it now. My school didn't offer OChem I in the spring. If I had managed a C I would not have taken OChem II in the spring either because the same professor was the only one who taught it and no way I'd take a course with him again. Congrats on your A now; what's the secret to getting an A the second time? I'm taking it in the summer. I also got As in gen chem and in all my other science and math classes except a B+ in physics 2 which i took in the summer with a horrible professor. So yes, OChem really killed my GPA as well as caused me so much stress.

I could have written this exactly except I'm not taking it now. My school didn't offer OChem I in the spring. If I had managed a C I would not have taken OChem II in the spring either because the same professor was the only one who taught it and no way I'd take a course with him again. Congrats on your A now; what's the secret to getting an A the second time? I'm taking it in the summer. I also got As in gen chem and in all my other science and math classes except a B+ in physics 2 which i took in the summer with a horrible professor. So yes, OChem really killed my GPA as well as caused me so much stress.

Unless you had a problem with bonds and counting electrons, there isn't much that you bring from Gen Chem into Orgo. Orgo is its own beast. Orgo isn't something to dread and unless you're good at rote memorization, don't go that route. Learn the concepts and do as many sample problems as possible.

Unless you had a problem with bonds and counting electrons, there isn't much that you bring from Gen Chem into Orgo. Orgo is its own beast. Orgo isn't something to dread and unless you're good at rote memorization, don't go that route. Learn the concepts and do as many sample problems as possible.

I had a horrible time with general chemistry, but I have really enjoyed organic chemistry. They are really very different classes.:luck:

UNECOM has an online Orgo Class. I don't know how difficult it is but the quizes and tests are all open book, open notes. I was looking into it b/c I was in the same situation for Orgo II and all the school's I applied to were fine w/ an online course (in the end, I picked a school that would allow a C-...I'm such a lazy bum). If you don't want to spend your summer slaving away, it might be an easier way to go.

I had a horrible time with general chemistry, but I have really enjoyed organic chemistry. They are really very different classes.:luck:
Right on! Dr. Mom! I can hardly keep track of your ever changing avatar pics.

PS - I wanted to say that I'm very proud of your accomplishments this application season. :thumbup:

Right on! Dr. Mom! I can hardly keep track of your ever changing avatar pics.

PS - I wanted to say that I'm very proud of your accomplishments this application season. :thumbup:

:laugh: I am obsessed with horses! :D

THANK YOU!!!!:biglove: :biglove: :biglove: