C- in two prereqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newmedcraze

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got C- in Inorganic Chem I and Ochem I in my first year. Thus I had crappy gpa of 2.98 in first year (I thought it would be somewhere around 3.5 :( ). I got a B in Inorganic Chem II and I'm yet to take Ochem II. How strict are the MD and DO schools about getting at least C in a prereq, even if you have high GPA in later years and high MCAT. 2nd year is going better so far gpa wise. Would you recommend taking a higher level course or repeating the same course?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No exceptions, you must retake even a lab component with a grade below a C. Your acceptance will hinge upon it.

No exceptions, you must retake even a lab component with a grade below a C. Your acceptance will hinge upon it.

I've read a few exceptions on here, but generally speaking this is correct. Besides, you're not helping your case going into the app cycle as the exception here.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I got C- in Inorganic Chem I and Ochem I in my first year. Thus I had crappy gpa of 2.98 in first year (I thought it would be somewhere around 3.5 :( ). I got a B in Inorganic Chem II and I'm yet to take Ochem II. How strict are the MD and DO schools about getting at least C in a prereq, even if you have high GPA in later years and high MCAT. 2nd year is going better so far gpa wise. Would you recommend taking a higher level course or repeating the same course?

Many DO schools require a C or better in all pre-reqs. Repeat anything C- or worse.

Untrue for at least 23 MD schools. With 1 exception every MD school I contacted does not work with grade cutoffs.

I got a C or a D in organic. Can't remember which. Tried retaking it, dropped for a W.
Professor jumped right into reaction pathways in the first week, skipping all the foundational material.
I don't learn that way. So, instead of just bashing me in SDN, people started doing it in real life.

Retook the class at a better university...I was top in the class out of 200+. The professor ended up writing a stunning LOR, after I went on to lead his organic 2 class and did well in Biochem. Agreed that my prior professors were fools. Told me I was better at chemistry than HE was in undergrad. One of the two best compliments of my life.
My interviewers thought so too. But I digress.

To take organic AND inorganic at the same time, in your first year, is a sorta overreaching, in my opinion. Given the poor state of many public school systems, leading up to and including universities. (I blame the tenure system, but again, just my opinion.) Doable, but only if you're well prepared. Maybe you werent as prepared as you thought you were. Maybe you learned that you needed to study more than usual, or how to focus and avoid distraction. Failure is the best teacher.
Social life = parties = hot chicks. I usually get distracted by hot chicks.
Yes I do. But I don't know how to improve my work ethics. Maybe I need to learn how to study smart.

And, fix this:
I personally don't see any drastic difference between a DO and an MD medical school (except the manipulative medicine).
It's a slap in the face to people that do see a very important difference. Maybe the people that are trying to help you, that you might sit next to in an assigned seat for two years.

I got a C or a D in organic. Can't remember which. Tried retaking it, dropped for a W.
Professor jumped right into reaction pathways in the first week, skipping all the foundational material.
I don't learn that way. So, instead of just bashing me in SDN, people started doing it in real life.

Retook the class at a better university...I was top in the class out of 200+. The professor ended up writing a stunning LOR, after I went on to lead his organic 2 class and did well in Biochem. Agreed that my prior professors were fools. Told me I was better at chemistry than HE was in undergrad. One of the two best compliments of my life.

To take organic AND inorganic at the same time, in your first year, is a sorta overreaching, in my opinion. Given the poor state of many public school systems, leading up to and including universities. (I blame the tenure system, but again, just my opinion.) Doable, but only if you're well prepared. Maybe you werent as prepared as you thought you were. Maybe you learned that you needed to study more than usual, or how to focus and avoid distraction. Failure is the best teacher.

And, fix this:

It's a slap in the face to people that do see a very important difference. Maybe the people that are trying to help you, that you might sit next to in an assigned seat for two years.

I really did not mean to offend anyone. Sorry if I did. I was just saying that at the end of the day both MDs and DOs are physicians who take care of people. But I have utter respect for people who celebrate and practice different medical approaches.

And, fix this:

Lol.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Retake those. You don't want to hurt your chances at the many schools that have the C or better rule. Also, fyi, if schools are on the fence about you I have heard they specifically look at your organic grades to see how good of a critical thinker you are. Having a bad grade in that will DEFINITELY not help your case. Good luck!