C/O 13' Curriculum changes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jymezg

SCO c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy all,

Just got an email from SCO today. They are instituting a "mini summer semester" (two classes after 1st spring term) for the class of 13'. It's like a 6 week addition to the curriculum and will reduce the course load during the fall and spring of the first year. This is in addition to the change of getting rid of the 2nd-3rd year summer to add an earlier clinical exposure for the new boards.

I'm curious, are any other schools making curriculum changes?

Thanks in advance,

Members don't see this ad.

Actually, they're starting it with us. Lucky for you, it won't be pharm like it is for us. Whoever thought it was a grand idea to do 30 weeks of pharmacology in 6 weeks... I think you know how I feel. :thumbdown: I'm taking the course because I want to get it out of the way, I just don't think it'll be very beneficial. They told us that you guys will get a much easier course.

Hmmm. I must have misinterpreted the email.

My understanding is that you'll be taking one less class in the fall/spring first year and then doing a 6 week hell with two courses the first summer?

Members don't see this ad :)
The way they explained it to us (about y'all and future classes) is that they were going to take a class out of either second or third year for the summer course you'd be taking after first year. But they might have changed their minds again before sending y'all an email about it. The schedule we have is very different from what the current second years had/have, so I guess they're just going to keep restructuring it until they find something that works well.

sorry to invade this thread, but do either of you know what the class schedule will be like this fall for 1st years @ sco?

We took anatomy, neuro, optics, theory, biochem, and physiology last fall. I'm not sure if they're keeping it the same for y'all or not but it should be very similar.

do they start in the morning? what time are you usually done by? or does it vary day to day?

Yup, 7:45 or 8:00 depending on the day. If you have lab that afternoon expect to be at school until 2 or 3 at least. If you only have classes and no labs you'll be done by 12:30. People who live close go home for lunch if there's enough time, but the way my lab schedule was last semester I never had more than 30 minutes to eat. Just depends on which lab group you're in.

This semester we start at 8 or 8:30 and labs run a little later in the afternoon so we're there until 4 on the late days.