C section nausea

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
First, left uterine displacement. Amazing how well this works. And, a little phenylephrine or ephedrine if the patient starts to get symptomatic in the hallway (perish the thought for the purists) can also work wonders.

Second, how would you justify a bad outcome related to anesthesia for a 20-minute delay in the OR when OB is ready to cut?

-copro
I do understand your point - I do the some stuff..(left uterine displacement, neo, eph. based on symptoms). Bad outcome related to anesthesia for a 20 minutes delay ? This is an elective c section, right? In OR patient have the monitors on and the OB dude is there too. I am not sure that I understand what do you mean - "OB ready to cut"? Emergency or stats - spinal or general. Elective C - time to play.

Members don't see this ad.

Here is what I do:
If epidural has been working well for labor:
3 cc lido 1.5 + epi test dose in the hallway then on arrival to OR 15cc 2% with epi and bicarb bolus, and they are ready for incision in less than 5 minutes.
I don't even check for anesthesia level.
If epidural is questionable, take it out and place spinal.
If they get a high block (rare) so what? you are there and you know what to do.

Bad outcome related to anesthesia for a 20 minutes delay ? This is an elective c section, right?

If you have an epidural in already and the patient is laboring, this is not an elective c-section. This is a section due to failure to progress. Sometimes you have time to get the epidural topped-up, sometimes you don't.

Typically, you are taking these women to the OR because, at least in my experience, you have a semi-urgent situation. If you start in the room/hallway, they are usually ready to cut by the time you get them to the room, prepped, draped, and ready for the Allis test. They don't wait for you. The patient gets to the table, and they start cleaning the belly and put the Ioban on - functioning epidural or not.

If you are delaying the surgeon's cut time, you are not going to "win friends and influence people." And, if this delays a kid getting out of the belly who's having decels (etc.), guess what? You're going to be doing a GA. I'm sure we all would agree that this is not the best option.

If you think the epidural isn't functioning, you know this already by the time you get to the OR if you've topped-up by the time you get to the patient to the room. It's pretty obvious when they try to move themselves to the OR table. I also ask them to do a "straight leg" raise test, i.e. keep the leg perfectly straight and have them try to lift it off the table. This requires the use primarily of the iliacus and psoas major muscles (higher dermatome). If they can't do this, I know I'm in... and I'm probably at least already halfway there with regards to my epidural dose.

-copro

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
... then on arrival to OR 15cc 2% with epi and bicarb bolus...

:eek:

You are brave, my friend. I gotta say that I don't yet have the stones to do that. My experience is that often you don't need the full 20mL of lidocaine anyway, especially if you already have some rop/bupiv in there.

-copro

Here is what I do:
If epidural has been working well for labor:
3 cc lido 1.5 + epi test dose in the hallway then on arrival to OR 15cc 2% with epi and bicarb bolus, and they are ready for incision in less than 5 minutes.
I don't even check for anesthesia level.
If epidural is questionable, take it out and place spinal.
If they get a high block (rare) so what? you are there and you know what to do.
That's smart - bolus in OR. What classificatiion you guys use for emergent, "semi- emergent", stat, uregent? We had few meetings with the OB and they classify depending of their office hours....

That's smart - bolus in OR. What classificatiion you guys use for emergent, "semi- emergent", stat, uregent? We had few meetings with the OB and they classify depending of their office hours....
True emergencies in OB are when the baby or (more importantly) the mother are about to die in the next few minutes, these in my book get GA.
Everyone else is urgent to a negotiable degree depending on many factors including politics and, as you said, office hours.

I was just bringing the point that although is common practice to bolus an epidural in patient room and leave for OR, this approach place the anesthesiologyst at risk for malpractice. During transportation the vitals of the mother are not recorded, neither the fetal activity. A bolus is likely to change BP with possible consequences. I would like to know how you'll justify a bad outcome in a trial. just my 2 cents

Sorry but that is BS. There are many ways to measure vitals and nausea in these pts is one of them. But the how many times does the BP drop immediately after a bolus to the epidural? The onset is slow so it takes a few minutes (even with lido/HCO3/epi) and by that time you are in the OR with monitors applied. I am not going to wait to get monitors on a lady with a FHR of <60. I'm getting her ready for delivery asap. :thumbdown:

Screw the trail. Why are some people so concerned with legal outcomes? Do what is right and what makes sense and you will hopefully stay away from the lawyers. It doesn't make sense to waste time traveling when I can be dosing as well and getting that baby out sooner.

I was just bringing the point that although is common practice to bolus an epidural in patient room and leave for OR, this approach place the anesthesiologyst at risk for malpractice. During transportation the vitals of the mother are not recorded, neither the fetal activity. A bolus is likely to change BP with possible consequences. I would like to know how you'll justify a bad outcome in a trial. just my 2 cents

For our usual urgent but not emergent C/S, we'll bolus 20 minutes or so prior to going to the OR. Most (not all) big BP swings will be apparent fairly quickly, certainly less than 20 minutes, and it's easy enough to see a trend in an unfavorable direction. For stat C/S, we'll bolus going down the hall if we have to, and often have a good enough block for incision.

Moving to the OR - wow, perhaps 1-2 minutes off the BP monitor. Big deal. Same for the FHT's - at some point, mom comes off the FHT monitor to go to the OR and have her procedure. Ours get a single FHT via doppler on arrival in the OR and that's it - the monitor never goes back on. They go to the OR for surgery, not to get dosed and wait.

Sorry but that is BS. There are many ways to measure vitals and nausea in these pts is one of them. But the how many times does the BP drop immediately after a bolus to the epidural? The onset is slow so it takes a few minutes (even with lido/HCO3/epi) and by that time you are in the OR with monitors applied. I am not going to wait to get monitors on a lady with a FHR of <60. I'm getting her ready for delivery asap. :thumbdown:

Screw the trail. Why are some people so concerned with legal outcomes? Do what is right and what makes sense and you will hopefully stay away from the lawyers. It doesn't make sense to waste time traveling when I can be dosing as well and getting that baby out sooner.
Let me play the devil then...

"If an epidural continuous infusion or patient controlled epidural analgesia is used, vital signs (hemodynamics and consciousness) are monitored and recorded hourly.
If analgesia is maintained by intermittent top-ups, maternal vital signs (at least blood pressure and heart rate) are monitored non-invasively and recorded at least every 5 minutes for 30 minutes after the top-up. Fetal heart rate is recorded continuously for at least 30 minutes following the bolus top-up. (Grade D)
A skilled person (obstetrician or midwife) monitors the fetal heart rate either in the labor room (if central monitoring is absent) or in the labor and delivery area (if central monitoring is present)."
So - after top up - we should monitor for "at least 30 min" the FHR.
This is one of the reason that a practice without OB is advertised as a good one for anesthesia. We are aware also about the closed claims study. There is another article interesting about the amount of claim -
http://lsr.nellco.org/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1038&context=duke/fs
I didn't find any study to look to a time frame between the epidural placement and the onset of hipotension. I love the lawyers a lot...

Let me play the devil then...

"If an epidural continuous infusion or patient controlled epidural analgesia is used, vital signs (hemodynamics and consciousness) are monitored and recorded hourly.
If analgesia is maintained by intermittent top-ups, maternal vital signs (at least blood pressure and heart rate) are monitored non-invasively and recorded at least every 5 minutes for 30 minutes after the top-up. Fetal heart rate is recorded continuously for at least 30 minutes following the bolus top-up. (Grade D)
A skilled person (obstetrician or midwife) monitors the fetal heart rate either in the labor room (if central monitoring is absent) or in the labor and delivery area (if central monitoring is present)."
So - after top up - we should monitor for "at least 30 min" the FHR.
This is one of the reason that a practice without OB is advertised as a good one for anesthesia. We are aware also about the closed claims study. There is another article interesting about the amount of claim -
http://lsr.nellco.org/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1038&context=duke/fs
I didn't find any study to look to a time frame between the epidural placement and the onset of hipotension. I love the lawyers a lot...

Sorry but I am having a very difficult time following your argument.

Sorry but I am having a very difficult time following your argument.

There arent many practices on planet earth that tie up an anesthesia provider for 30 minutes after a topoff.

FHT and hemodynamic monitoring are constant on any OB unit, independent of anesthesia services.

If you wanna step up the frequency of BP checks after a topoff all you have to do is tell the OB RN.

Or you could start doing CSE with a subsequent infusion of ropiv/sufentanil and make topoffs near-obsolete.:D

As far as dosing on the way to the room, I'm in Noy's camp.

You're a doctor.

Feel her radial pulse while youre rolling.

Talk to the parturient.

Communication will let you know if something is awry.

No reason to wait to get in the room to dose.

Use your physician skill.

:confused:

Me too.

A full-term parturient who starts to labor at home, often for hours (and sometimes even days), before she presents to the hospital is "off" the fetal monitor.

Fetal monitoring is one of the most widely-practiced, yet poorly evidenced-based (in terms of difference in fetal/newborn outcome), things we routinely do.

-copro

There arent many practices on planet earth that tie up an anesthesia provider for 30 minutes after a topoff.

FHT and hemodynamic monitoring are constant on any OB unit, independent of anesthesia services.

If you wanna step up the frequency of BP checks after a topoff all you have to do is tell the OB RN.

Or you could start doing CSE with a subsequent infusion of ropiv/sufentanil and make topoffs near-obsolete.:D

As far as dosing on the way to the room, I'm in Noy's camp.

You're a doctor.

Feel her radial pulse while youre rolling.

Talk to the parturient.

Communication will let you know if something is awry.

No reason to wait to get in the room to dose.

Use your physician skill.
I know jet - you're absolutely right. I was looking from a lawyer perspective and eventually what it is your best argument if something is going wrong. I see - there is no one except "common practice".

Members don't see this ad :)
I know jet - you're absolutely right. I was looking from a lawyer perspective and eventually what it is your best argument if something is going wrong. I see - there is no one except "common practice".

Yes, that's also called "standard of care" and expert testimony will corroborate that. If you follow it, it is a defense against malpractice litigation.

-copro

Yes, that's also called "standard of care" and expert testimony will corroborate that. If you follow it, it is a defense against malpractice litigation.

-copro
are you looking to informal opinion based consensus, formal consensus or evidence based consensus? Be sure that easily I can make a jury to convict an MD who failed to monitor vitals after an epidural bolus. If you come with this BS - I felt the pulse, the face color...I will ask you - what's the reliability of your evaluation of "palor" with BP and fetal well beeing. It's NONE - but you believe that you're a great doctor,,,,,:smuggrin:

are you looking to informal opinion based consensus, formal consensus or evidence based consensus? Be sure that easily I can make a jury to convict an MD who failed to monitor vitals after an epidural bolus. If you come with this BS - I felt the pulse, the face color...I will ask you - what's the reliability of your evaluation of "palor" with BP and fetal well beeing. It's NONE - but you believe that you're a great doctor,,,,,:smuggrin:

Okay, in my book, you just fully crossed-over into TROLL territory.

-copro

So you are going to risk the outcome of a "fetus in distress" that you are aware of b/c some lawyer may grill you on the stand someday? No thanks, And I will propose that you are dangerous if you practice in this manner. Not to mention that I still have a very difficult time understanding your posts. Where are you from?

Dude, how long does it take to get from your OB suite to your OR?

So you are going to risk the outcome of a "fetus in distress" that you are aware of b/c some lawyer may grill you on the stand someday? No thanks, And I will propose that you are dangerous if you practice in this manner. Not to mention that I still have a very difficult time understanding your posts. Where are you from?

Dude, how long does it take to get from your OB suite to your OR?
1) In my post was nothing reagrdin the fetus in distress...In my practice this means STAT - GENERAL. I will do that only if I don't jeopardize the mother.
2) I'm from EU.
Regarding the lawyers - do you know that they will fry your ass because of a skin lesion after removal of the ETT tape after a general , prone for a whale? class 4 asa? 8 h prone?:) Esthetic damage - low self esteem and all the BS. I know this very well...
BTW the hallways are really long. Plus an elevator from the second floor to the 7 floor - coming q 10-15 min. I understand the spirit of your reply and sure - this is the way to behave in a "normal" society. As you are aware - we practice "defensive" medicine. SUCKS.

So you are going to risk the outcome of a "fetus in distress" that you are aware of b/c some lawyer may grill you on the stand someday?

I'm with you, Noyac. This guy is dangerous and has his priorities all backwards. And, as I said before, I have my serious doubts that he's an anesthesia attending at all. In fact, I'm pretty sure he's just here trolling. Maybe a CRNA... but even most CRNA's I've met have more sense.

-copro

I'm with you, Noyac. This guy is dangerous and has his priorities all backwards. And, as I said before, I have my serious doubts that he's an anesthesia attending at all. In fact, I'm pretty sure he's just here trolling. Maybe a CRNA... but even most CRNA's I've met have more sense.

-copro
"but even most CRNA's I've met have more sense.' - u know why? because you have a lot in common with them. Your logic is limited . I see the same lack of understanding of common steps in the decision making process. And also I bet that u didn't hear about defensive medicine. Your attending is in charge for that - the one that u disrespect in front of a surgeon. This is a way to show your gratitude- says a lot about you. :smuggrin:

"but even most CRNA's I've met have more sense.' - u know why? because you have a lot in common with them. Your logic is limited . I see the same lack of understanding of common steps in the decision making process. And also I bet that u didn't hear about defensive medicine. Your attending is in charge for that - the one that u disrespect in front of a surgeon. This is a way to show your gratitude- says a lot about you. :smuggrin:

Cop's a good dude in my book.

I see no "lack of understanding" in his posts.

Defensive medicine?:lol:

Whatever, Dude.

I ain't re-writing the way I do cases for some piece of s hit plaintiff attorney.

I, like most clinicians out there, practice good medicine.

Literature shows the majority of lawsuits filed are frivolous, medical-legally speaking.

Tort reform is happening because of this.

You wanna practice medicine where every decision you make is based on what a plaintiff attorney thinks?

Thats your beef, Dude, not mine.

I'll continue to make decisions I think are right.

Regardless of how it reflects to the piece-of-s hit plaintiff attorneys.

GUESS WHAT!!!!

TORT REFORM is a big issue now.....since its been made obvious that most med-mal lawsuits filed are frivolous..... costing the insurance companies about ninety large to defend an even-obvious-frivolous lawsuit......

Its coming.

Tort reform.

In the mean-time, I'm gonna continue practicing medicine like I see fit. Like I've been trained. Like I've learned.

Hell will freeze over before I let some scumbag attorney dictate the way I take care of patients.

Yep Jet - defensive medicine is the way that the medicine is practiced and u know that. Tort reform is what all of us want and maybe is coming... faster.
It is true that majority of lawsuits are frivlous - still I don't want to be part of them. They will still be part of your application to the medical boards and malpractice insurance. Part of my training was defensive medicine:
"
Defensive Medicine is the practice of diagnostic or therapeutic measures conducted primarily not to ensure the health of the patient, but as a safeguard against possible malpractice liability. Fear of litigation has been cited [1] as the driving force behind defensive medicine. Defensive medicine is especially common in the United States of America, with rates as high as 79%[2] to 93%[3], particularly in emergency medicine, obstetrics, and other high-risk specialties.
Defensive medicine takes two main forms: assurance behavior and avoidance behavior. Assurance behavior involves the charging of additional, unnecessary services in order to a) reduce adverse outcomes, b) deter patients from filing medical malpractice claims, or c) provide documented evidence that the practitioner is practicing according to the standard of care, so that if, in the future, legal action is initiated, liability can be pre-empted. Avoidance behavior is when providers refuse to participate in high risk procedures or circumstance"
Good or bad?

Yep Jet - defensive medicine is the way that the medicine is practiced and u know that. Tort reform is what all of us want and maybe is coming... faster.
It is true that majority of lawsuits are frivlous - still I don't want to be part of them. They will still be part of your application to the medical boards and malpractice insurance. Part of my training was defensive medicine:

Last edited:
"
Defensive Medicine is the practice of diagnostic or therapeutic measures conducted primarily not to ensure the health of the patient, but as a safeguard against possible malpractice liability. Fear of litigation has been cited [1] as the driving force behind defensive medicine. Defensive medicine is especially common in the United States of America, with rates as high as 79%[2] to 93%[3], particularly in emergency medicine, obstetrics, and other high-risk specialties.
Defensive medicine takes two main forms: assurance behavior and avoidance behavior. Assurance behavior involves the charging of additional, unnecessary services in order to a) reduce adverse outcomes, b) deter patients from filing medical malpractice claims, or c) provide documented evidence that the practitioner is practicing according to the standard of care, so that if, in the future, legal action is initiated, liability can be pre-empted. Avoidance behavior is when providers refuse to participate in high risk procedures or circumstance"
Good or bad?
I agree with the fact that defensive medicine is widely practiced in this country, even subconsciously at times because as you mentioned no one likes to be sued regardless of the circumstances.
I think the best approach to this is for each physician to develop a style of practice that gives the patient the best care possible without excessive exposure to risky practices, and to learn how to document properly everything you do.
But on the other hand you can't allow "defensive medicine" to become the main focus of your daily activity because this is not why you became a physician.

But on the other hand you can't allow "defensive medicine" to become the main focus of your daily activity because this is not why you became a physician.

I wouldn't at all be surprised to find out that he is speaking from experience. Extensive experience.

-copro

I wouldn't at all be surprised to find out that he is speaking from experience. Extensive experience.

-copro
That was really helpful - as allways. Are you still a resident or the "FMG" kicked you out? Did you give some lessons of anesthesia and medicine to your attendings? And talking about defensive medicine - if you don't like it, don't practice it. Please let you future employer know before (eventually) you'll get a contract. And again - eventually if you graduate...:laugh:

That was really helpful - as allways. Are you still a resident or the "FMG" kicked you out? Did you give some lessons of anesthesia and medicine to your attendings? And talking about defensive medicine - if you don't like it, don't practice it. Please let you future employer know before (eventually) you'll get a contract. And again - eventually if you graduate...:laugh:

2win,

The following is pretty obvious:

(1) You are not actually an attending anesthesiologist (or, if you indeed are, the program that graduated you should be embarrassed),
(2) You are only here to TROLL,
(3) You have proven, with your short track record, that you don't really have anything of value to add to this forum.

Given the above, please go away. I'm not going to respond to you anymore after this post.

-copro

2win,

The following is pretty obvious:

(1) You are not actually an attending anesthesiologist (or, if you indeed are, the program that graduated you should be embarrassed),
(3) You have proven, with your short track record, that you don't really have anything of value to add to this forum.

Given the above, please go away. I'm not going to respond to you anymore after this post.

-copro
coprolalia
thank you so much. your opinion will make a huge change in my life. and dear - please attend a very intensive written exam course for your board. with love
2win
btw- for nausea with peritoneum retraction you could give some glyco - if this question will come for you...maybe from a FMG. GLTY:love:

btw- for nausea with peritoneum retraction you could give some glyco - if this question will come for you...maybe from a FMG. GLTY:love:

Dude, I find your postings very hard to follow. Maybe its just me.

But are you advocating glyco for "peritoneum retraction" (your word not mine)?

And I thought bradycardia meant slow heart rate. ;)

Personally, when patients get bradycardic from peritoneal retraction, or any number of other vagal stimuli (oculo-cardiac reflex, tugging on the spermatic cord, etc.), I find telling the surgeon to LET GO often helps.

And I thought bradycardia meant slow heart rate. ;)

Personally, when patients get bradycardic from peritoneal retraction, or any number of other vagal stimuli (oculo-cardiac reflex, tugging on the spermatic cord, etc.), I find telling the surgeon to LET GO often helps.

Yes. This is the most appropriate first step when you have a vagal reflex.

And, needless to say, I stand by what I said before. It should be quite clear that I am correct/dead-on on this one.

-copro

And, needless to say, I stand by what I said before. It should be quite clear that I am correct/dead-on on this one.

-copro

You mean about 2win being a troll?

Yes. This is the most appropriate first step when you have a vagal reflex.

-copro
sure....especially when for the surgeon is a must to retract the peritoneum in order to perform his procedure. U gonna stop him all the time..."let the patient to bleed a little - stop whatever you do because he has a vagal reaction".LOL

I lied. I am going to respond. Yes, taking the TROLL bait... can't help myself here....

sure....especially when for the surgeon is a must to retract the peritoneum in order to perform his procedure. U gonna stop him all the time..."let the patient to bleed a little - stop whatever you do because he has a vagal reaction".LOL

First off, easy to sound intelligent... okay, maybe not in your case... when you move the goalposts and change the argument. Who was talking about a bleeding patient anyway? Did you feel the need to interject that because you know you're wrong? I can only hope so.

The depths of what you do not understand are amply illustrated in your attempt to flame me. Other posters, med students, junior residents, do not read his posts and think you are taking any meaningful information away with you. He knows not of what he speaks.

You absolutely do ask the surgeon to stop what they are doing. That, as I said before, is the first step. Often, this is during peritoneal traction, and if the patient is bleeding uncontrollably at this point - instead you should do whatever you can to fix that first. IF the patient is bleeding uncontrollable at this point, the surgeon has much bigger problems (i.e., competency) than vagal reflex, as most of the major vessels that will bleed are inside the peritoneum, which is what he is outside of when he is putting traction on and when the reflex occurs. You better be reaching for atropine, epinephrine, blood products, etc.

SECONDLY, as every competent anesthesiologist knows, this reflex rapidly extinguishes with repeated stimulation. That is, the first time they "vagal" on you will probably be the worst. The second time is not as bad. The third time becomes less and less noticeable. Etc. AND THAT IS USUALLY IT. After that point, you don't have to usually worry about any potentially dangerous vagal response.

Next, if the patient is repeatedly having a potent vagal response, you try to identify the cause first and foremost. Sometimes a retractor is placed too tightly against a viscera, muscle, etc. and it can be moved slightly. This does not inconvenience the surgeon, especially if you tell them that the patient is having a sustained vagal response. Now - read this carefully 2win - this is often far more effective than treating it pharmacologically. Read that again, 2win. MORE EFFECTIVE than treating it pharmacologically.

Absolutely finally, you can give anticholinergic drugs (glyco, atropine) if the patient continues to have significant, meaningful bradycardia during the case. THIS IS THE LAST THING that the vast majority of COMPETENT PRACTICING ANESTHESIOLOGISTS will do. NO one in common, day-to-day practice reaches for these drugs as a first choice except apparently you.

I will, again, state the following so it is clear to everyone reading this thread, which is what I believe:

(1) You are not actually an attending anesthesiologist (or, if you indeed are, the program that graduated you should be embarrassed and/or you clearly are not Board Certified by the ABA),

Given the above, please go away.

Thank you.

-copro

I lied. I am going to respond. Yes, taking the TROLL bait... can't help myself here....

First off, easy to sound intelligent... okay, maybe not in your case... when you move the goalposts and change the argument. Who was talking about a bleeding patient anyway? Did you feel the need to interject that because you know you're wrong? I can only hope so.

The depths of what you do not understand are amply illustrated in your attempt to flame me. Other posters, med students, junior residents, do not read his posts and think you are taking any meaningful information away with you. He knows not of what he speaks.

You absolutely do ask the surgeon to stop what they are doing. That, as I said before, is the first step. Often, this is during peritoneal traction, and if the patient is bleeding uncontrollably at this point - instead you should do whatever you can to fix that first. IF the patient is bleeding uncontrollable at this point, the surgeon has much bigger problems (i.e., competency) than vagal reflex, as most of the major vessels that will bleed are inside the peritoneum, which is what he is outside of when he is putting traction on and when the reflex occurs. You better be reaching for atropine, epinephrine, blood products, etc.

SECONDLY, as every competent anesthesiologist knows, this reflex rapidly extinguishes with repeated stimulation. That is, the first time they "vagal" on you will probably be the worst. The second time is not as bad. The third time becomes less and less noticeable. Etc. AND THAT IS USUALLY IT. After that point, you don't have to usually worry about any potentially dangerous vagal response.

Next, if the patient is repeatedly having a potent vagal response, you try to identify the cause first and foremost. Sometimes a retractor is placed too tightly against a viscera, muscle, etc. and it can be moved slightly. This does not inconvenience the surgeon, especially if you tell them that the patient is having a sustained vagal response. Now - read this carefully 2win - this is often far more effective than treating it pharmacologically. Read that again, 2win. MORE EFFECTIVE than treating it pharmacologically.

Absolutely finally, you can give anticholinergic drugs (glyco, atropine) if the patient continues to have significant, meaningful bradycardia during the case. THIS IS THE LAST THING that the vast majority of COMPETENT PRACTICING ANESTHESIOLOGISTS will do. NO one in common, day-to-day practice reaches for these drugs as a first choice except apparently you.

I will, again, state the following so it is clear to everyone reading this thread, which is what I believe:

(1) You are not actually an attending anesthesiologist (or, if you indeed are, the program that graduated you should be embarrassed and/or you clearly are not Board Certified by the ABA),

Given the above, please go away.

Thank you.

-copro
"SECONDLY, as every competent anesthesiologist knows, this reflex rapidly extinguishes with repeated stimulation" - oh - you read about the oculocardiac reflex - give me a study about peritoneal retraction and vanishing with the reflex with repeated stimuli. Second I wouldn't stop a surgeon if the patient is bleeding.
-"
Next, if the patient is repeatedly having a potent vagal response, you try to identify the cause first and foremost. Sometimes a retractor is placed too tightly against a viscera, muscle, etc. and it can be moved slightly. This does not inconvenience the surgeon, especially if you tell them that the patient is having a sustained vagal response. Now - read this carefully 2win - this is often far more effective than treating it pharmacologically. Read that again, 2win. MORE EFFECTIVE than treating it pharmacologically." - we are talking about a C section. Seems that your experience is limited and I understand. Do u "negociate" the placement of the retractors? And why do you assume that is coming only from retractors? Did u read the study from BMJ?
-"
Absolutely finally, you can give anticholinergic drugs (glyco, atropine) if the patient continues to have significant, meaningful bradycardia during the case. THIS IS THE LAST THING that the vast majority of COMPETENT PRACTICING ANESTHESIOLOGISTS will do. NO one in common, day-to-day practice reaches for these drugs as a first choice except apparently you."
- so u copro give atropine ( I assume during a C section without to specify if the umbilical cord was cut or not...) - better read this:
"Measurements of placental transmission of atropine were performed during Caesarean section. Twenty-five patients received H-atropine 0.5 µg. kg–1 i.v. 1–30 min before delivery. Maternal venous blood was sampled before the induction of anaesthesia and at the moment of delivery, together with umbilical arterial and venous blood. Total hydrogen-3 activity was determined by liquid scintillation counting. The stability of H-atropine was confirmed by paper chromatography. The concentrations in the umbilical vein 1 and 5 min after injection were respectively 12% and 93% of the corresponding maternal value. Those in the umbilical artery were approximately 50% of those in the umbilical vein during the same period" well - this is a way to practice
- and last "I will, again, state the following so it is clear to everyone reading this thread, which is what I believe ...bla bla bla" - you said that u'll not post anymore replies - this is consistency buddy. glty

I don't think Nitecap was this irritating...:laugh: