C-?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PCung

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I'm kind of at a crossroad and would like some help. At my college, UC Davis, the Organic Chem series that I'm taking is separated into quarters and apparently I received a C- this past Fall quarter. I had to deal with my own personal issues throughout this quarter and although I'm glad I just passed and know I'll work harder in the next two quarters to complete the ochem series, I recognize that some schools don't accept any prereqs unless its a "C" or higher.

Does this mean if I apply to Optometry schools that do indeed require a whole year of ochem they're going to automatically going to throw my application out of the way because I received a C-? I'm sure each school differs and maybe I should talk to the admissions office, but I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this sort of predicament and if they got into Optometry school or not. Your help or input would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

So I'm kind of at a crossroad and would like some help. At my college, UC Davis, the Organic Chem series that I'm taking is separated into quarters and apparently I received a C- this past Fall quarter. I had to deal with my own personal issues throughout this quarter and although I'm glad I just passed and know I'll work harder in the next two quarters to complete the ochem series, I recognize that some schools don't accept any prereqs unless its a "C" or higher.

Does this mean if I apply to Optometry schools that do indeed require a whole year of ochem they're going to automatically going to throw my application out of the way because I received a C-? I'm sure each school differs and maybe I should talk to the admissions office, but I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this sort of predicament and if they got into Optometry school or not. Your help or input would be greatly appreciated!

All the schools I applied to (SCCO, Berkeley, SUNY, NOVA) consider a "C-" as a "C" so don't worry. Now remember, I applied last year (2005) so things may have changed. It's always good practice to call the admissions office to confirm.

Oh yeah, I got a C- in CHE 118B (damn you Nasiri!!!). Yep, I'm an Aggie myself!

Yeah I think most schools usually look at the grade and not the - or + , but it would be a good idea to call the schools and ask. Yeah I also got a C, actually a C+ in chem 118A at Davis, Nassiri gave me my first C !!! :( I was like point something away from a B- and she didnt give it to me :(

Members don't see this ad :)
wow, so many aggies here. i'm also an aggie. nasiri gave me both B- 118A, 118B. i swear, no matter how hard i try i still end up with a B-.

Thank you guys for your responses! I feel a lot better knowing it's not the end of the world AND that they are plenty of aggies interested in Optometry on this forum! :)

yeah, luckily some of the schools give a shiet about +/-'s so you're cool. the other ones won't even talk to you if you have a C-. they see it like a disease or something.

I think you should be okay at most schools, I know that ICO won't accept any grades below a C- for their pre-reqs, but with a C- you should be okay.
Always a good plan to check with admissions folks though.
Good luck with applying!

Thank you for opening this thread, it's very helpful. Also, if anyone can give me a feedback in that do optometry schools average out your grades, say, you got a D on a course due to a special circumstance, but you retook it and got a B ... do they average them out and give you a C or will they just accept your higher grade? All advices and opinions are welcome. Thanks.

hey eye-spy,

in your post you said that ICO won't accept anything belowa C-, but when I called them a long time ago, I was told that they would not accept a C-, only a C and the woman was pretty rude about it too. I was just wondering where you got your info from cause I wanted to go to ICO, but that idea was crushed when I was told NO C-'s!!!!!! and so I didn't apply there

Okay I just had to state that I am an Aggie too! I just graduated 06 :) Good to see other UC Davis alums on here :p

Don't forget pacific/oregon, they dont accept c- :mad:

Is that for pre-reqs classes that they won't accept C- in? I thought ICO do not take +/- in consideration so if you got a C- it counts as a C.

hey guys,
it's true that ICO Does take into consideration the +/- grades, so they don't accept a grade below C (so a C- won't count). I think each school has its own criteria that they seem to be more strict about and for ICO this is one of them. Hope that helps :)