CA credentialing/licensing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlameItOnTheOH

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All.
PGY-3 finishing up residency in Midwest and moving to CA for my first attending job this summer. I just got word that I have a CA medical license and am working on credentialing. Its asking for my DEA number. I don't think I can keep my residency/institutional one, but nowhere in the licensing process did it give me any info/direct me where to get one?
Any advice? Can't work if I cant write for narcs I s'pose..

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All.
PGY-3 finishing up residency in Midwest and moving to CA for my first attending job this summer. I just got word that I have a CA medical license and am working on credentialing. Its asking for my DEA number. I don't think I can keep my residency/institutional one, but nowhere in the licensing process did it give me any info/direct me where to get one?

DEA license/number is through the federal government (USDOJ) . Separate entity and application and of course, separate fee.

Application is online. Your job should reimburse you

Your job will not always reimburse you for these things. Some do, others don't. If they don't see if they're willing to negotiate on this. Of course, if it's an independent contractor gig, all of these expenses are an above the line tax deduction, so keep that in mind.

Hi All.

Even though DEA is a "federal" license you still need a unique DEA license (and number) for each state you practice in. So if you went to residency out of state you will need a California DEA number to practice and prescribe in California. Take it from me, I actively practice in two different states and require and maintain two different state DEA licenses and numbers.

Furthermore, my residency did not require that I have a federal DEA number/license, only the state controlled substance license because our training institution had a general DEA license that covered us as residents (this might vary by law state to state; however, I do not know if you needed a DEA license as a resident in your state).

As an independent staff physician in any state you will require your own independent federal DEA license and number. Warning, it costs ~$700 to register per state for a DEA license. To apply, go to their website at Registration and fill out online form "DEA form 224a" for a "practitioner" (this is you as a staff physician).