CA Pharmacy School Tips?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rollingmedicine

Nuclear or Clinical
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I recently joined this site because I seem to have a hard time finding good resources when it comes to applying to pharmacy schools (other then basic information that I receive from my school organization and things that I can find online ^^;)

I am currently a student at UCLA and I am planning to apply to pharmacy school this year. But because of some family situation that I have to deal with right now, I cannot study pharmacy outside of California.

I was hoping to find some students who are currently attending any CA Pharmacy School and can give me some helpful advice or tips that can help me apply this year since I understand that CA pharmacy schools are very competitive.

My GPA is really not the best but I do have a lot of organizations (leaderships), volunteer, work experience and research stuff that can hopefully help me out T_T

I also hope to make new friends here who are interested in CA pharmacy school as well! ^0^

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated from a CA p-school. What questions do you have?

I graduated from a CA p-school. What questions do you have?
Hi there! I was just wondering since CA schools do not really require PCAT, what were other things that you did to make yourself competitive? Does having a pharmacy tech license really help a lot even if you cannot find a job using the license? Also, I heard that there are essay portions as well. What are some questions that they ask you to write in the essay?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your first goal is to get an interview. I would worry about other things later (e.g., write an essay). All pharmacy schools look at these but California schools tend to be more competitive.

(1) Grades are the most important thing.
(2) Show you are interested in a pharmacy career. If you are interested in pharmacy, then you should work in a pharmacy or do something that you feel a Pharm.D. may help you achieve your goals (e.g., medical liaison).
(3) Apply early so make sure you start the essays as soon as you can
(4) Detailed recommendation letters
(5) Your transcripts should show you have been taking challenging courses, heavy course load preferred (> 16 units)
(6) Make sure you really want to do pharmacy. It is not for everyone especially now with high student loans and lack of job opportunities in the city especially in California.

Also, I heard that there are essay portions as well. What are some questions that they ask you to write in the essay?

All the interview day essays are fairly simple..most are just 1 sentence statement questions that ask for your opinion. USC's is a little more involved in that there is a short article to read before starting the essay, but it's also opinion based. These essays are just to test if you can write and form logical opinions.

Hi there! I was just wondering since CA schools do not really require PCAT, what were other things that you did to make yourself competitive? Does having a pharmacy tech license really help a lot even if you cannot find a job using the license? Also, I heard that there are essay portions as well. What are some questions that they ask you to write in the essay?

Having a tech license is kind of worthless if you don't have the work experience to pair with it.

Thank you for the answer! For interview questions, how do people usually practice? Are there some typical sample interview questions online for ca pharmacy schools?

Also for recommendation letters, I was thinking about asking pharmacist and one of the professor that I work with in the lab, when should I start asking them about the letter if I'm looking into applying early this summer?

And thanks for the tip on the heavy course load!

Your first goal is to get an interview. I would worry about other things later (e.g., write an essay). All pharmacy schools look at these but California schools tend to be more competitive.

(1) Grades are the most important thing.
(2) Show you are interested in a pharmacy career. If you are interested in pharmacy, then you should work in a pharmacy or do something that you feel a Pharm.D. may help you achieve your goals (e.g., medical liaison).
(3) Apply early so make sure you start the essays as soon as you can
(4) Detailed recommendation letters
(5) Your transcripts should show you have been taking challenging courses, heavy course load preferred (> 16 units)
(6) Make sure you really want to do pharmacy. It is not for everyone especially now with high student loans and lack of job opportunities in the city especially in California.

Thanks for bringing that up since the school that I'm looking into mostly is USC!

All the interview day essays are fairly simple..most are just 1 sentence statement questions that ask for your opinion. USC's is a little more involved in that there is a short article to read before starting the essay, but it's also opinion based. These essays are just to test if you can write and form logical opinions.

Okay thank you! I was thinking about getting it (even though I am working in the pharmacy as an assistant pharmacist) but I guess it would be kinda weird if my license comes out this year and I was working in the pharmacy for the last two year XD

Having a tech license is kind of worthless if you don't have the work experience to pair with it.

Thanks for bringing that up since the school that I'm looking into mostly is USC!

I've heard from an admission representative that USC does grade replacement when they calculate your GPA. It may help to retake any of your prerequisites which you got a C+ or lower.

Yeah I was thinking about retaking some of my classes if I don't get accepted for 2014 since my time to re-taking classes are running out T^T

I've heard from an admission representative that USC does grade replacement when they calculate your GPA. It may help to retake any of your prerequisites which you got a C+ or lower.