MD CA Reapplicant, (3.74sGPA, 3.75cGPA), 38 MCAT. What went wrong/Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

naturalmelody

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody! Hoping you guys can give me some advice on what went wrong the first time around and see how I fare for this upcoming cycle:

(These were all my qualifications from last cycle)
Stats:
3.74sGPA/3.75cGPA from a California UC (applied on my 2nd gap year)
MCAT: 38 (11VR/13BS/14PS)

EC's:
  1. TA for two upper division biology courses
  2. ~30 hours of shadowing
  3. ~280 hours of hospital volunteering
  4. ~180 hours Science and math tutor for high school students (paid employment)
  5. ~240 hours as Hospice patient volunteer
  6. ~80 hours as Mentor & volunteer for a learning program aimed at an underserved/disadvantaged community.
  7. Hobbies: Music-piano (not sure if I should keep this)
LORs: I had a total of 5, and while the writers and I kept the promise not to disclose the contents of the letters, I do believe they were strong.

When I did apply last (2014) cycle, I ended up submitting my primary application to a little over 25 schools (broad range) around Mid-July. I received my secondaries between the last week of August up to the mid-Sept.

However, because of a series of unfortunate events (finances, timing, and all) I managed to submit ~18 secondaries between mid to late October.

As a result, I only received one interview invite in January. However, all the interview slots were taken up.

-------------------------------------

As for this cycle, I'll be adding my experience working in a genetics/developmental biology lab for almost a year as of today.

-------------------------------------

Would you say my late application played a big factor in my unsuccessful cycle?

Would you recommend anything/advice for this upcoming cycle?

And also...would you say keeping my Personal Statement (with alterations for what I've learned this year and slight revamping) is okay?

Members don't see this ad.

Would you say my late application played a big factor in my unsuccessful cycle?

This is the big mistake that I see in your application.

Also, any research experience? Though not necessary, involvement in research can help.

Definitely change up the PS, I've heard schools don't like to see the same app.

Which schools did you apply to? Listing them all would be helpful for both analysis and determining where to apply this year.

Late app probably screwed you over for many schools, but your ECs (no offense) are very cookie cutter.

Also how old are you? You applied during your second gap year?

Applying late can be easily remedied, and probably had some influence in your success. But the other questions I have are:

Did you apply very top heavy because of your stats?

Your ECs come off as the bare minimum in the "Pre-Med applicant recipe"; you mentioned you are on a 2nd gap year though - what have you been doing in this time? Do you have other non-premed/non-clinical activities or leadership experiences?