CA residencies that even consider DO's...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mat the coolcat

jus tryn'a make it
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Original west-coasterner here jw if there are anymore residencies besides this list that would take a non-rockstar DO with an overall good application. Step 1: 230's, Step 2: 240's, 1 SLOE at home program, 2 at renowned MD residencies.

Here's my current list in CA:

Kaweah Health, Visalia
Kern medical, Bakersfield
UC Davis, Sacramento
Arrowhead, Colton
Desert Regional, Palm Springs
Kaiser permanente, San Diego
St. Joseph's, Stockton

Thought about throwing one out to UCSF as well...

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Original west-coasterner here jw if there are anymore residencies besides this list that would take a non-rockstar DO with an overall good application. Step 1: 230's, Step 2: 240's, 1 SLOE at home program, 2 at renowned MD residencies.

Here's my current list in CA:

Kaweah Health, Visalia
Kern medical, Bakersfield
UC Davis, Sacramento
Arrowhead, Colton
Desert Regional, Palm Springs
Kaiser permanente, San Diego
St. Joseph's, Stockton

Thought about throwing one out to UCSF as well...

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated!
I live in the surrounding area and Arrowhead I'd known to have a lot of DOs but they recently opened up an affiliated MD school so I'm not sure how that will play out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

LA County takes DOs every year (it's like 7% DO), but idk how much of a rockstar you have to be. If your SLOES are good I feel like you might as well give it a shot.

UCSF or UCSF-Fresno? Fresno has a few DOs, but UCSF main campus has never taken one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know about UCR/RCH? I'm a DO applicant who received an offer to rotate there late in the season (11/19-12/14), and I'm wondering if it's just going to be for naught or if I'll actually be given a fair shot. I know they currently have no DOs, but they're also a new program (2 classes) so it's not a great sample size.

If you can afford it, apply everywhere.
If you can't, I would not spend the money on UCSF.
HH

LA County takes DOs every year (it's like 7% DO), but idk how much of a rockstar you have to be. If your SLOES are good I feel like you might as well give it a shot.

UCSF or UCSF-Fresno? Fresno has a few DOs, but UCSF main campus has never taken one.

My bad. UCSF-Fresno yes. Okay thank you!