CA residency -- long-term advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camarshall

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a CA resident, but I have been living with my husband in Manhattan for the past few months (we lived in San Francisco for 7 years prior). My husband's job is now in NYC, but it is flexible enough for him to commute to Davis frequently. We both want to be in CA long-term and I definitely want to do my residency in CA. Given this situation, I am trying to decide between UC Davis and Einstein. I do prefer Davis overall, but Einstein would obviously make life easier. Bottom line, if I choose Einstein would I seriously hurt my chances for a residency in CA? Or, if I choose Davis would I drastically improve my chances of getting a residency in CA? I would greatly appreciate any advice/ suggestions you might have. Thanks ! so much for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

definitely go to einstein. u should prob post on the pre-allo if u haven't already done so. I really liked it there when i interviewed last year. in terms of reputaiton, einstein's a solid place compared to davis. if your husband runs into any job difficulties, finding another job in nyc will be easier than finding one in davis. i don't think u'll run into any problems matching as an einstein student.

I agree that given your situation Eistein is a better choice.You will not seriously hurt your chances of a California match from there.Its a known entity to CA residency programs as many Einstein students return home.While Davis would facilitate making local contacts you can make up for it by doing summer and fourth year electives in programs that interest you for residency.

I honestly don't know anything about the quality of education at Einstein vs. Davis. However, having just gone through the match (and not getting interviews in CA) I sometimes question whether I should have gone to the lower tier school in California that I was accepted to (instead I am at a top 5 institution).

You won't know what you will be matching in, but in many programs personal connections will matter most. Even if Einstein is a better program, Davis people are more likely to know their neighbors well.

I have come to the believe that you should train where you want to live, if possible and that includes medical school.

What the??? what is more important to you, your husband or living in that s**t hole SF? How about this idea...go to einstein and stop trying to steal all of the california spots when you obviously don't deserve it. If you go to Davis it means you don't love your husband.

First comment in reply to that above:

UC Davis is not in SF. FAR from it (more intellectually than geographically).

Second comment: please play nicely in this (and all others for that matter) forum. No need to berate another user. Goes against TOS you agreed to when you registered blah blah blah.

Finally, to the OP - there are some Ca schools who distinctly prefer residents from OTHER programs (ie, UCLA comes to mind); ie, they do NOT prefer their own grads.

While others may disagree, IMHO your medical school does not make a significant difference in residency placement as long as you choose relatively equal stature schools. Outside of Ca, UC Davis really isn't a "name" like UCLA or UCSF would be.

Why did you post this thing undergrad? 4th year med students are scrambling for their lives now. This just shows ignorance. How did you get into med school in the first place. At this point in the year, this forum should be reserved for 4th year med students who are trying to salvage their careers in the scramble. Lets be respectful and support for our future colleagues. FYI, I matched derm. I'm gonna be rich, bitach! (to the tune of music)

Originally posted by yoman
Why did you post this thing undergrad? 4th year med students are scrambling for their lives now. This just shows ignorance. How did you get into med school in the first place. At this point in the year, this forum should be reserved for 4th year med students who are trying to salvage their careers in the scramble. Lets be respectful and support for our future colleagues. FYI, I matched derm. I'm gonna be rich, bitach! (to the tune of music)

The OP asked a legitimate question related to General Residency issues and deserves a legitimate response. No forum is limited to one group or another and anyone, resident or not, is welcome to post here.

Glad to see you're posting your match success all over the board. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Kimberli Cox
Glad to see you're posting your match success all over the board. :rolleyes:

Probably means he is trying to compinsate for his small .......car.

Hey,

Another factor you should consider in your decision is cost. Einstein is extremely expensive compared to UC Davis. And while it might not matter as much right now, it will when your monthly bill on your loans after school is ridiculously high.

I'm from CA and live in NY. You would be crazy to leave a cheap UC for Einstein. It's not exactly nice in the Bronx, and Manhattan is a long train ride away. If hubby's out here it will be tough, but there are people who make it work. This is your life, too, so look out for yourself and chose UCD if at all possible.

UCD: ~$25,000 per year
Einstein: ~$50,000 per per.
Being near a loved one: priceless.

There are some things money can buy. For everything else (including a stable marriage) choose loans. Accepted at all private medical schools.

I don't know the difference between Einstein and Davis other than where they're at... but I would choose to be with hubby. There will be days when you wish you had him near by. There will be other days when you're studying hard core and can't spend time with him when he flies in and will have to wait until the next time he comes to town.

California's not going anywhere. It'll always be there, for residency, for fellowships, heck, even after you finish training.