CA Resident: 28 MCAT 3.66cGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

technolize

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am waiting to purchase the newest MSAR when it is released (from Amazon, it looks like early-mid April). I wanted to know how my stats would stack up in MD/DO schools.

Asian Male
28 MCAT
Graduated: 2012
University of California GPA: 3.66cGPA (science should be similar)
Community College GPA: 3.97 (courses to replace AP credits, GE courses, Anatomy, and courses for MA certification - received Dec 2012)

By application time:
~150 hours of hospital volunteering
~150 hours working in doctor's private practice as MA
~1000 hours research for credits
~3000 hours research for pay as lab tech/manager
~2 papers (SA on Journal of Virology, contributing to one in PNAS) possibly a third soon
~1 year of Americorps working to helps seek shelter for victims of domestic abuse
~5 years of leadership role in a nonprofit that sets up clinics/surgeries in third world country
~300 hours of miscellaneous volunteering in the community

Horrible idea to apply last year on deadline dates to MD only. I plan on turning in primary this year in June (rather than September) and secondaries within the week (rather than on deadline day).

This year I qualify for FAP.

I'm hoping for some schools I should look into as well as any other recommendations (ie. retake MCAT, raise GPA through SMP, etc.)

Thanks in advanced!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am waiting to purchase the newest MSAR when it is released (from Amazon, it looks like early-mid April). I wanted to know how my stats would stack up in MD/DO schools.

Asian Male
28 MCAT
Graduated: 2012
University of California GPA: 3.66cGPA (science should be similar)
Community College GPA: 3.97 (courses to replace AP credits, GE courses, Anatomy, and courses for MA certification - received Dec 2012)

By application time:
~150 hours of hospital volunteering
~150 hours working in doctor's private practice as MA
~1000 hours research for credits
~3000 hours research for pay as lab tech/manager
~2 papers (SA on Journal of Virology, contributing to one in PNAS) possibly a third soon
~1 year of Americorps working to helps seek shelter for victims of domestic abuse
~5 years of leadership role in a nonprofit that sets up clinics/surgeries in third world country
~300 hours of miscellaneous volunteering in the community

Horrible idea to apply last year on deadline dates to MD only. I plan on turning in primary this year in June (rather than September) and secondaries within the week (rather than on deadline day).

This year I qualify for FAP.

I'm hoping for some schools I should look into as well as any other recommendations (ie. retake MCAT, raise GPA through SMP, etc.)

Thanks in advanced!
Your gpa is fine. Your MCAT is not good for research schools in CA. Either get an MCAT score >30 and apply in CA (and at least dozen receptive OOS schools), or apply DO+the same this cycle.

Thanks for your advice. I do plan to apply all over, are there any specific schools for MD/DO I should look into?

Members don't see this ad :)
You can also buy the compass for US n&wr. According to some sdn posters it includes a lot more info on actual acceptance rates/gpas/etc. plus it now has step score averages.

Thanks for your advice. I do plan to apply all over, are there any specific schools for MD/DO I should look into?

A little more info would be helpful for anyone to give you ideas... Where would you like to live? Do you have an interest in working with the underserved?

Just some that come to mind:
CA schools but not Stanford, UCSF
Consider Loma Linda's lifestyle policy before applying.
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Hofstra
NYMC
Tulane
Colorado if you have a significant amount of shadowing

I don't know about DO schools.

Thank you for that info on the US News, I will definitely check it out (MSAR is kinda expensive).

Thank you for the list of schools, I will compile it into a master list and find out more about each school this coming spring break.