CA resident: Penn or USC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunnymeliss

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for another one of these, I couldn't find a thread that compares the two schools directly - am I silly to throw away USC for Penn? I am a southern CA resident and the Trojan network here is huge! In fact, most people in southern CA believe that USC is the best dental school but not many people know about how good Penn is. I will probably settle in CA after dental school and am wondering if going to Penn would negatively affect me, in terms of getting hired and getting patients. What do you guys think? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

sunnymeliss said:
Sorry for another one of these, I couldn't find a thread that compares the two schools directly - am I silly to throw away USC for Penn? I am a southern CA resident and the Trojan network here is huge! In fact, most people in southern CA believe that USC is the best dental school but not many people know about how good Penn is. I will probably settle in CA after dental school and am wondering if going to Penn would negatively affect me, in terms of getting hired and getting patients. What do you guys think? :confused:

I would go to Upen...

sunnymeliss said:

Why are you wasting your and our time with this question? It is more than obvious that you want to go to USC. SO GO TO USC! If you care about what people think, well, they're telling you USC is a good school. If you don't care about what people think..then consider the fact that you want to work in CA. Seems like a no brainer to me. Go to USC.

Members don't see this ad :)
Audio,
I think that Penn is a better program and I would love to live in the east coast. USC has always been a "safety school" for me, not b/c it's not a good program, but b/c I've lived in LA all my life and it is the comfort choice.

BTW, you're a lot nicer in person

Sunny, you should go to Penn. Then we can throw stuff at Audio during class.

BigRedDentist said:
Sunny, you should go to Penn. Then we can throw stuff at Audio during class.

Good one! You're my friend already :laugh:

sunnymeliss said:
Good one! You're my friend already :laugh:

Seriously though, I don't think going to Penn is going to hurt your chances of practicing in California. You can always do a GPR there. If you want the East Coast experience, go for it. Just remember it seriously is cold here.

BigRedDentist said:
Seriously though, I don't think going to Penn is going to hurt your chances of practicing in California. You can always do a GPR there. If you want the East Coast experience, go for it. Just remember it seriously is cold here.

Yeah, I'm pretty much leaning in favor of Penn at this point - it's an awsome school and I'm very excited. As for the weather - yeah, it is cold. I hear that it's hot and humid in the summer too...But I am looking forward to my big adventure.

sunnymeliss said:
Audio,
I think that Penn is a better program and I would love to live in the east coast. USC has always been a "safety school" for me, not b/c it's not a good program, but b/c I've lived in LA all my life and it is the comfort choice.

BTW, you're a lot nicer in person

Hey Homie,

I was just trying to help you out, sorry if I sounded rude but it just seemed like a no brainer to me. I guess I see so many Cali people on this board asking if they should pick Penn over UoP, UCLA, UCSF etc and every single time the conclusion is...GO TO A CALI SCHOOL.

If you do want to work in Cali, it seems like you'll have an easier ride if you go to a Cali school. If I got into a "safety" program, I'd take it cuz I'd rather be close to my girlfriend and family. That's just me.

I do agree that Penn is a wicked program and that maybe if I was single and wanted an adventure, i'd pick it over a "safety" school but I don't know about right now.

But I guess I can't send in my deposit for Penn anymore, sunnymeliss and BigRed hate me :( Oh my God. Imagine the looks and the whispers I'll get in class. I just can't deal with that :scared: :D

Good luck, maybe I'll see you next year and prove that I actually am nice in person :p

Audio said:
Hey Homie,

I was just trying to help you out, sorry if I sounded rude but it just seemed like a no brainer to me. I guess I see so many Cali people on this board asking if they should pick Penn over UoP, UCLA, UCSF etc and every single time the conclusion is...GO TO A CALI SCHOOL.

If you do want to work in Cali, it seems like you'll have an easier ride if you go to a Cali school. If I got into a "safety" program, I'd take it cuz I'd rather be close to my girlfriend and family. That's just me.

I do agree that Penn is a wicked program and that maybe if I was single and wanted an adventure, i'd pick it over a "safety" school but I don't know about right now.

But I guess I can't send in my deposit for Penn anymore, sunnymeliss and BigRed hate me :( Oh my God. Imagine the looks and the whispers I'll get in class. I just can't deal with that :scared: :D

Good luck, maybe I'll see you next year and prove that I actually am nice in person :p

Hee Hee :D - you're funny. BigRed and I will have to see how well you can entertain us in class.

I agree with you about the CA schools - if I got into UCLA or UCSF, it would probably be a no brainer - I would go there over Penn (due to cost and reputation). USC is one of the most expensive dental schools and I don't know if I want to pay that sort of money to go to a PBL program.

Audio said:

My "hatred" is easily overcome by a couple of pitchers of Canadian beer, hehe

See you in school Marty McFly

Audio said:
Why are you wasting your and our time with this question? It is more than obvious that you want to go to USC. SO GO TO USC! If you care about what people think, well, they're telling you USC is a good school. If you don't care about what people think..then consider the fact that you want to work in CA. Seems like a no brainer to me. Go to USC.

Totally agree with you, why do you think I'm at SC!! 'Cause I want to stay in Southern California. UPenn was a dream school for me but I have to be realistic; if I want to stay in Cali, I better stay in networking capital of the world: USC School of Dentistry.

Members don't see this ad :)
sunnymeliss said:

PENN is a better school. however, if you want to practice in Cali then i wonder it's worth going through all the trouble of taking the boards again. i'd go to PENN if you're okay about practicing anywhere.

kiggar4l2000 said:
PENN is a better school. however, if you want to practice in Cali then i wonder it's worth going through all the trouble of taking the boards again. i'd go to PENN if you're okay about practicing anywhere.

i heard from my family dentist that you will be allowed to practise in cali without having to retake their board exam after having practised for 5 years...is there any truth to this?

sunnymeliss said:

When do you have to put ur deposit by?
The thing is with ur stat (i assume it is a good one since u got into penn). why wait a little bit more and see if ucla gives u any luck. we are slow, but eventually will get to u. then u can satisfy both of ur desire.

ecdoesit said:
When do you have to put ur deposit by?
The thing is with ur stat (i assume it is a good one since u got into penn). why wait a little bit more and see if ucla gives u any luck. we are slow, but eventually will get to u. then u can satisfy both of ur desire.

I have to send in $500 by 1/16, which is coming right up. It's pretty scary. Hopefully the UC's will come through for me.

Well guys,
I finally made up my mind. I'm going to USC....(unless I hear from UCLA or UCSF) My realization last night came as quite a shock, as for the last fourty-some days, my mind was made up on Penn. I would still love to go to Penn, but USC is the right choice for me personally.

sunnymeliss said:
Well guys,
I finally made up my mind. I'm going to USC....(unless I hear from UCLA or UCSF) My realization last night came as quite a shock, as for the last fourty-some days, my mind was made up on Penn. I would still love to go to Penn, but USC is the right choice for me personally.

You have made the right choice sunnymeliss. I know both of us want to stay in Cali and sometimes we have to met tough decision. However, you won't regret coming to SC this school is all about hands-on training, they don't mess around here. GO TROJANS!!

sunnymeliss said:
Well guys,
wise decision. you want to be close to your friends and family. when i was applying back in the days, i got into ucla and harvard and i went to ucla, and glad that i did.

Audio said:
Hey Homie,

And you were right. Rude or not. Don't worry Audio, if you come to Penn I'll have ur back (as long as neither of us turns out to be a jerk in person). :laugh: Hey someone please correct my grammar if I'm wrong. It just sounds wrong. :D

duh? said:
And you were right. Rude or not. Don't worry Audio, if you come to Penn I'll have ur back (as long as neither of us turns out to be a jerk in person). :laugh: Hey someone please correct my grammar if I'm wrong. It just sounds wrong. :D

It's best to play nice with each other as you'll be spending A LOT of time with each other over the next four years. ;)

Sprgrover said:
It's best to play nice with each other as you'll be spending A LOT of time with each other over the next four years. ;)
OK uncle Sprgrover. :p You sound like a dad instructing his kids to get along with eachother. :laugh: :laugh:

duh? said:
OK uncle Sprgrover. :p You sound like a dad instructing his kids to get along with eachother. :laugh: :laugh:

duh?'s a poopy dodo head...hey, I gotta make uncle Sprgrover work hard for his money :thumbup:

Audio said:
duh?'s a poopy dodo head...hey, I gotta make uncle Sprgrover work hard for his money :thumbup:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: