CA Resident- What schools to apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

runningpenguin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.8 GPA, 509 MCAT
competitive undergraduate
California resident, ORM
non-traditional applicant, reapplicant
work, decent EC, decent LORs...sometimes I'm not even sure what qualifies as "decent" or "good" anymore, especially because there's both good and bad to my application

What schools should I add? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have a list of schools that you've already applied to?

Do you have a list of schools that you've already applied to?

It's really short as of right now. all of the lower-tier UCs , Wright state, MCW, Albany, Wayne, Arizona

Any others I should add?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's really short as of right now. all of the lower-tier UCs , Wright state, MCW, Albany, Wayne, Arizona

Any others I should add?

Look into:
-St. Louis University
-OUWB
-Temple
-Loyola Stritch
-TJU
-Quinnipiac
-NYMC
-CMS
-UVm
-VCU
-Wakeforest
-GT
-GWU
-Drexel
-Creighton
-Pennstate
-EVMS

For UCs, be wary of riverside as they take half the class from UCR and the other half from the inland empire. As for out of state public schools, check the MSAR to see if theyre out of state friendly (at least 20% oos matriculant yield). You might also want to check out Wedgdawg's applicant evaluator to figure out how to balance your school list until you have about 30 schools. Also add a couple DO schools for safe measure.

Look into:
-St. Louis University
-OUWB
-Temple
-Loyola Stritch
-TJU
-Quinnipiac
-NYMC
-CMS
-UVm
-VCU
-Wakeforest
-GT
-GWU
-Drexel
-Creighton
-Pennstate
-EVMS

For UCs, be wary of riverside as they take half the class from UCR and the other half from the inland empire. As for out of state public schools, check the MSAR to see if theyre out of state friendly (at least 20% oos matriculant yield). You might also want to check out Wedgdawg's applicant evaluator to figure out how to balance your school list until you have about 30 schools. Also add a couple DO schools for safe measure.

Thanks, I appreciate the list. Aren't schools like St. Louis out of my reach? I think their stats are quite a bit higher than mine. Also, off the top of your head, do you know if any of these schools have policies that only allow applicants to apply 2 or 3 times before they can no longer apply anymore? I'm in the process of figuring this info out. Also, I'm a late applicant (very late September submission). Not good I know, but I'm a non-traditional so time is ticking and my MCAT could expire soon too.

Thanks, I appreciate the list. Aren't schools like St. Louis out of my reach? I think their stats are quite a bit higher than mine. Also, off the top of your head, do you know if any of these schools have policies that only allow applicants to apply 2 or 3 times before they can no longer apply anymore? I'm in the process of figuring this info out. Also, I'm a late applicant (very late September submission). Not good I know, but I'm a non-traditional so time is ticking and my MCAT could expire soon too.
Oops. St Louis is on that list because they interviewed me last year so I decided to reapply again (same mcat as you). Not that I know of. Though I have read that they look much closer at your app to see where you've improved.

Oops. St Louis is on that list because they interviewed me last year so I decided to reapply again (same mcat as you). Not that I know of. Though I have read that they look much closer at your app to see where you've improved.

If it's ok to ask, what was the interview like for St. Louis? Also, did they eventually accept you?

If it's ok to ask, what was the interview like for St. Louis? Also, did they eventually accept you?

You should apply to SLU first, wait for an interview invite, then at last worry about what the interview is like.

Reading comprehension might not be your strong suit (interesting to see how you did on CARS), but it is obvious that @Hau5MD had to reapply again this year even though SLU interviewed last year.

Of course. It was a very conversational 1-on-1 interview about my application and St. Louis University. Nope. Hence having to reapply this cycle.

You should apply to SLU first, wait for an interview invite, then at last worry about what the interview is like.

Reading comprehension might not be your strong suit (interesting to see how you did on CARS), but it is obvious that @Hau5MD had to reapply again this year even though SLU interviewed last year.
I agree with @Mwooster . It really is best to wait for an interview invite before worrying about the details of the interview. The cycle can be very unpredictable.

Whoops missed that. I was fixating on one part of the sentence and not the other, so I missed it. My CARS score is above average actually. I'm just curious how interviews are.
Of course. It was a very conversational 1-on-1 interview about my application and St. Louis University. Nope. Hence having to reapply this cycle.

I agree with @Mwooster . It really is best to wait for an interview invite before worrying about the details of the interview. The cycle can be very unpredictable.
Yeah, I know. I'm hoping it's good unpredictable though. Good luck this cycle! Here's to making dreams come true this year! :)

For clarification St. Louis is not Washington University St. Louis different schools,different stats

3.8 GPA, 509 MCAT
competitive undergraduate
California resident, ORM
non-traditional applicant, reapplicant
work, decent EC, decent LORs...sometimes I'm not even sure what qualifies as "decent" or "good" anymore, especially because there's both good and bad to my application

What schools should I add? Thank you!
I suggest:
Duke
Hofstra
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Dartmouth
U VM
Miami
George Washington
Georgetown
SLU
Albany
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
MCW
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Netter
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland-B
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons
UCD
UCI
UCR IF you're from the Inland Empire
UCLA

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest:
Duke
Hofstra
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Dartmouth
U VM
Miami
George Washington
Georgetown
SLU
Albany
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
MCW
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Netter
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland-B
UCD
UCI
UCLA
Thanks for the reply. Why Duke, Dartmouth, Albert Einstein? Isn't my MCAT (509) quite a bit below their range? I feel like my reasonable reaches are NYMC, UCI, UCLA, Netter, etc. UCLA, in particular, feels like a reach though I added it because their median MCAT is on the lower side for some reason.

How important is it to be from the Inland Empire for UCR? I know someone who got in and wasn't from Inland Empire. I'm not sure how representative this individual is.

Thanks for the reply. Why Duke, Dartmouth, Albert Einstein? Isn't my MCAT (509) quite a bit below their range? I feel like my reasonable reaches are NYMC, UCI, UCLA, Netter, etc. UCLA, in particular, feels like a reach though I added it because their median MCAT is on the lower side for some reason.

How important is it to be from the Inland Empire for UCR? I know someone who got in and wasn't from Inland Empire. I'm not sure how representative this individual is.
The wise @gyngyn has reported at length as to the mission of UCR. They want either UCR grads, or people from the Inland Empire. I suppose that there will always be exceptions.

Your stats are > 10th %ile for those schools, hence in striking distance. If you wish to hedge bets, pick one of the three.

The wise @gyngyn has reported at length as to the mission of UCR. They want either UCR grads, or people from the Inland Empire. I suppose that there will always be exceptions.

Your stats are > 10th %ile for those schools, hence in striking distance. If you wish to hedge bets, pick one of the three.
Alright, I'll try it out. Thanks.

I suggest:
Duke
Hofstra
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Dartmouth
U VM
Miami
George Washington
Georgetown
SLU
Albany
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
MCW
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Netter
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
Oakland-B
UCD
UCI
UCLA
What do you think about adding Keck/USC? Their median MCAT is quite a bit higher, GPA lower.

Can't recommend.
Because my chances are too low due to my MCAT? Asking because the original list you recommended includes Duke, Dartmouth, Einstein, etc. Keck's MCAT is similar.

Because my chances are too low due to my MCAT? Asking because the original list you recommended includes Duke, Dartmouth, Einstein, etc. Keck's MCAT is similar.
They seem to put more stock in the MCAT and EC's.

Reactions: 1 user
You can't simply focus, moth - like on medians. You also have to look at the 10th %iles. And on top ofvthat, the higher the up the pole you want to climb, the more slippery it gets.

You can't simply focus, moth - like on medians. You also have to look at the 10th %iles. And on top ofvthat, the higher the up the pole you want to climb, the more slippery it gets.
They seem to put more stock in the MCAT and EC's.

Why are 10%iles important? I'm ORM and looking at the data AMCAS posts on median MCAT/GPA for my demographic, the stats are pretty high. So I've been looking at 25%iles, and selecting schools by trying to have my MCAT score higher than that 25%ile value (at the very least).

Also, I'm California resident, and I'd like to stay in California. I know the statistics indicate I'll probably have to leave though. Is there a particular type of student Keck favors for ECs?

Why are 10%iles important? I'm ORM and looking at the data AMCAS posts on median MCAT/GPA for my demographic, the stats are pretty high. So I've been looking at 25%iles, and selecting schools by trying to have my MCAT score higher than that 25%ile value (at the very least).

Also, I'm California resident, and I'd like to stay in California. I know the statistics indicate I'll probably have to leave though. Is there a particular type of student Keck favors for ECs?
Remember that medical school admissions is a seller's market. They can afford to turn away Legions of well-qualified people, because they are being crowded out by people with better applications.

Service and research from what I can tell.
CA applicants have applied to all the CA schools from time immemorial (no matter what!).
Even I did...

Reactions: 1 user
Remember that medical school admissions is a seller's market. They can afford to turn away Legions of well-qualified people, because they are being crowded out by people with better applications.
Also, when you're at the 10th percentile, you better gave something pretty outstanding in your app to make you more desirable.

Also, when you're at the 10th percentile, you better gave something pretty outstanding in your app to make you more desirable.
My ECs are solid, but nothing outstanding. I'm not exactly sure what compensates for a 10th percentile MCAT. When you say that I would need something to compensate for a 10th percentile MCAT, what level of accomplishment would make up for the deficit: 1) be an Olympian 2) Rhodes scholar 3) do something like Teach for America 4)Masters degree/MPH or 5) 1-2 publications in clinical research, not first author, after working for 1-2 years in a lab. Depends on the school too of course, so let's say for a school that's ranked in the 30s or 40s since those are schools where my MCAT falls more toward the 10th percentile.

If I fall in the school's 25%tile for my MCAT, which was a 509, and am a median (maybe slightly above average, though usually within 1 s.d.) for the GPA with standard job/ECs, non-traditional, ORM, CA applicant, would it be foolish to apply to the school? So I guess my real question is, should I still apply to schools where my MCAT is at the 25%tile when everything else I have to offer is pretty standard/median? I'm a re-applicant too, and it was the MCAT score (old test) that was holding me back.

Service and research from what I can tell.
CA applicants have applied to all the CA schools from time immemorial (no matter what!).
Even I did...
Pretty sure not applying to UCSF, Stanford, or UCSD. MCAT is 509. Great schools of course, but my MCAT won't work. UCLA's MCAT median is currently 508 I believe. Why is this? I read on a previous forum that this could be due to PRIME, but the score is a median so that doesn't make sense.

UCLA's MCAT median is currently 508 I believe. Why is this? I read on a previous forum that this could be due to PRIME, but the score is a median so that doesn't make sense.
UCLA had to replace their old admissions dean due to "irregularities."
The new one is focused on not repeating the mistakes that cost them an LCME citation.