Caffeine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlacKAT33

UPenn c/o 2014!! :)
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread isn't meant to be a joke. I just applied to vet school this fall and I would like to know how many of you drink caffeine on a daily basis. The reason I am asking is because I do not drink coffee/soda just because of preference, not health reasons. I managed to get through college without it and was able to stay up late studying. I know a lot of friends who are dependent on it, and sometimes it makes me feel sick because I'm not used to it: those are 2 reasons i haven't started to drink coffee. However, now that I have a full time job I am increasingly more tired. I don't know if this is do to an increase in age or because I'm not used to working 8 hrs a day. Since vet school is around 8 hrs a day or more, I was wondering if any of you get by without drinking caffeine.

Members don't see this ad.

I survived most of vet school with 1 cup of coffee in the morning, just to get going. That worked fine for me. Otherwise, those 8:00 classes would have killed me! My advice: if you get along fine without caffeine now, then you are better off staying off of it.

For the first few years of school, you can expect to spend 8-5 most days either in class or working on assignments or studying. Depending on your study habits and learning style, you can expect to spend some time in the evening and on weekends studying too. You'll have about 2 exams a week, so if you are like me and prefer to cram on the night before, you'll have a few really long days every week. But, you should still be able to have a life too. In fact, having a hobby or something to take your mind off of school now and then is a very good thing. I participated in dogs sports and worked. At one point I had 3 jobs! Crazy, I know, but I needed the money and loved my jobs).

Once you start clinics, days can range from the normal 8-5 to ungodly long. I think my longest days in the clinic started at 5:30am and ended at about midnight. After a few of THOSE days in a row, I needed a lot of coffee :D.

A final note: if you are feeling really tired most of the time, even when you get what should be a good amount of sleep, then talk to your doctor. I had a form of chronic fatigue syndrome all through college/vet school/grad school and just recently got a diagnosis and a treatment that works. My docs then explained the fatigue by my just "being a student". Of course, they were wrong, and thank goodness I was persistent.

I also don't like coffee or soda so it is at least possible to get to third year without it. I highly doubt I will start drinking it now! I have found that snacking in class works if I am feeling sleepy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also don't like coffee or soda so it is at least possible to get to third year without it. I highly doubt I will start drinking it now! I have found that snacking in class works if I am feeling sleepy.

Unless the class before you ruins it for everyone and you arn't allowed to eat food in your lecture hall...

I have a 2 can of cola a day minimum.

I don't usually drink caffeine, but sometimes I'll have tea in the morning or a soda with lunch, but not usually for the caffeine boost, just for the flavor/it's the only thing they served at lunch/etc. You can get through without it.

Thanks everyone!! Glad to know its possible :D

I have 2 cans of diet pop a day, all through undergrad and vet school so far (one during my 8 am class, one at noon). I do think I am one of the only people in my class who doesn't drink coffee though...everyone else is constantly refilling their travel mugs all day.

I have 2 cans of diet pop a day, all through undergrad and vet school so far (one during my 8 am class, one at noon). I do think I am one of the only people in my class who doesn't drink coffee though...everyone else is constantly refilling their travel mugs all day.

I know what you mean. Im the only person in my lab who doesnt drink coffee. The others have 2-3 cups during working hours. yikes!

Huh? Myself I am a 50mg Vyvanse and 3 Coke Zero guy. I wish I could be like the rest of you. I feel so unworthy! :p Vet school for me is 6:30 am - 6:00 pm, then try to study at home...

Caffine is not a pre-req for vet school. ;)

I don't drink it at all, and I am alive and functioning just fine. Granted, there are times I almost fall asleep *cough*histolgy*cough* but I think that is more of a personal issue of not going to bed early enough and that I'm not the biggest histo fan.

When the semester started, I fell off the wagon and picked up my Mt. Dew habit again. I was pretty convinced I wouldn't survive without it, but now I'm caffeine-less and doing fine. I was also taking cat naps in the afternoons at first but not so often anymore. I think I just had to get into a groove.

When I worked out to sea, I drank coffee (our work shifts were 20 hours on, 4 off) but once I stopped working at sea, coffee just tore my stomach up. I drink non-caffeinated soda and crystal light with water most days. On rare occasion (maybe 1-2x a month) I will have hot tea or cocoa but that is often more of a treat/warm up. Caffeine actually makes me sleepy now (unless I drink extreme amounts of highly caffeinated beverages like liters of black tea or liters of moutain dew.)

if I need a wake up, I jump in the pool for a swim/take a cool shower, exercise, change scenery, etc.

Anyone here remember Surge? It was green. Probably about 1997 is when it came out... it was basically an energy drink marketed at normal soda (before energy drinks really existed). That stuff was insane. Can you imagine a class of fifth graders hopped up on that stuff? I can - I was one of 'em. Lol.

I like coffee but it's not a requirement. I drink iced tea all the time so normal amounts of that or a cup of hot tea really doesn't do anything for me energy-wise.

Anyone here remember Surge? It was green. Probably about 1997 is when it came out... it was basically an energy drink marketed at normal soda (before energy drinks really existed). That stuff was insane. Can you imagine a class of fifth graders hopped up on that stuff? I can - I was one of 'em. Lol.

Omg i remember!!! i was in 5th grade i think lol i remember drinking it at a sleepover. i miss being a kid

Surge was awesome! It was like crack. Nowadays it would be too weak for people, but back then --- wow!:eek:

Last edited:
Omg I loved Surge. Defintely remember drinking it in about 5th-6th grads

Surge was awesome. Last time I had it was several years ago in Las Vegas at the Coca-Cola World place. They said it was the only place left that still sold it or something like that. :(

Was still as delicious and wiring as ever! Vault is a good replacement though.

LOL, my brother won this Surge alarm clock for some raffle prize once when we were younger and you could hear it yell "SURGGGGGE!!!!" when the alarm went off every morning.

LOL, my brother won this Surge alarm clock for some raffle prize once when we were younger and you could hear it yell "SURGGGGGE!!!!" when the alarm went off every morning.

That's just cool...now Im super jealous of someone I dont even know haha

I'm also not a coffee drinker (and I don't remember Surge :() although I do like the taste it can upset my stomach and I just don't have enough money to spend buying coffee every morning...and I'm too lazy to make it myself, I would rather sleep an extra 5 min or so.

I probably spend about 8-10 hours a day in lab, sometimes up to 12 hours, but usually not more. Occasionally I have hot tea but thats more just to warm me up (why are labs always so ungodly cold?!) than to give me an energy boost.

I've found my energy is really tied to eating. I really need to eat fairly regularly or else I get tired, cranky, and cold(er).

I tried an energy drink this past summer (5 hour energy shot) cause some of my friends who had gone through law school etc swore by it. That thing made me so jittery and sick feeling. Guess I gotta stick to my snacks.

I'm also not a coffee drinker (and I don't remember Surge :() although I do like the taste it can upset my stomach and I just don't have enough money to spend buying coffee every morning...and I'm too lazy to make it myself, I would rather sleep an extra 5 min or so.

I probably spend about 8-10 hours a day in lab, sometimes up to 12 hours, but usually not more. Occasionally I have hot tea but thats more just to warm me up (why are labs always so ungodly cold?!) than to give me an energy boost.

I've found my energy is really tied to eating. I really need to eat fairly regularly or else I get tired, cranky, and cold(er).

I tried an energy drink this past summer (5 hour energy shot) cause some of my friends who had gone through law school etc swore by it. That thing made me so jittery and sick feeling. Guess I gotta stick to my snacks.

Just wait until you get to get school! 8 hours a day I wish! :sleep: