cal state univ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

{^_^}

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys.
im pretty sure this question has been asked before, but i couldnt find it on the search engine. i called usc and loma linda asking if they prefer a BS from a UC over a CSU school. they told me they dont. what i understod form them was CSU=UC. now i know this isnt true in the real world lol. i need your inputs. i was thinking of going to a local csu than applying for dental.

Members don't see this ad.

They wouldnt necessarily discriminate a B.S from CSU and UC.
But What I think they would do is that they might use different numbers for your school in the formula they use.
u know.. dental schools have complex formulas where they put your DAT scores GPAs and level of Undergrad etc.. to derive your final score..

if i were to get my BS from csu with a sci gpa of about 3.5 and over about 3.5 aswell, and scores of 19-21 on DAT would i have a shot? im thinking about d-schools in ca.

Members don't see this ad :)
if i were to get my BS from csu with a sci gpa of about 3.5 and over about 3.5 aswell, and scores of 19-21 on DAT would i have a shot? im thinking about d-schools in ca.

I think theres some difference btw 19 and 21.
19 is average.. u will definitely have a shot if other parts of your app are good enough.
and 21 is still very competitive score. you wont have much trouble getting in

sorry about asking too many questions. im just hesitant about attending a csu because ive heard they dont do research (not sure though). is csu better or u of ariz?

I think as long as you have 20+ DAT scores and at least a 3.5 at CSU you are fine. CSU science classes are a lot easier than UC classes so try and keep a good gpa.

okay, i have been in a similar situation before.... i was asked, infact by LLU, if I felt the class I was talking at cal state (CSUF) was comparable to the difficulty if i would have taken it at a UC. but i think it might have just been that particular class

ofcourse if your grades are stellar and your dat scores reflect that then it shouldn't be a problem. now if you are getting a 3.1 and have low dats i think they might question it. in the larger scheme of things if you consistently show you are a good candidate for dental schools you dont need to worry, just keep up the good work.

i have a few friends who have gone from the cal state system to opt and pharm schools in CA, so you'll be fine! (but mind you they had good gpas and test scores to back them up)

hope this helps!

i attend cal state san berdoo, and i have been quite impressed by their biology department. their budgets are slashed to pieces, but the professors they have are good quality. I honestly don't know what kind of quality a UC department would have been, but I don't feel gypped in any way by attending CSUSB instead of UCR or something. I'm paying a third of the tuition, getting what i feel is a quality education which got me a DAT AA of 22, and if I wanted, I could do research. the trend of UC schools being research heavy and CSU schools being teaching heavy is starting to shift a bit. CSU schools, at least mine, are starting to offer more research opportunities.

again, i'm quite pleased with the quality of teaching i am getting at csusb. I'm not concerned about how it will reflect on my app.

I know there is a lot of research opportunity at CSU Los Angeles in both the chem and bio departments, so that's a plus!

i attend cal state san berdoo, and i have been quite impressed by their biology department. their budgets are slashed to pieces, but the professors they have are good quality. I honestly don't know what kind of quality a UC department would have been, but I don't feel gypped in any way by attending CSUSB instead of UCR or something. I'm paying a third of the tuition, getting what i feel is a quality education which got me a DAT AA of 22, and if I wanted, I could do research. the trend of UC schools being research heavy and CSU schools being teaching heavy is starting to shift a bit. CSU schools, at least mine, are starting to offer more research opportunities.

again, i'm quite pleased with the quality of teaching i am getting at csusb. I'm not concerned about how it will reflect on my app.

^^ i attended ucr for 1 year. i hated it! terrible school. im not suprised if you say csusb is better lol. also, how difficult is it to get scored of 20+ on the DAT?

it's not any more difficult than maintaining an A or A- average in all your classes. i'm sure that doesn't help, but i don't think there are any tricks to doing well on the DAT. Do well in your classes, study hard for the exam with as many resources as you can, and use good strategies for taking a multiple choice test.

I think it depends on the CSU you want to go to. Cal Poly SLO is on the same calibur as most UC's. I thought about this long and hard when I was deciding on what college to go to. I decided on a UC because it provided a lot more research opportunity than what I would have obtained at a CSU. All of my friends that went to CSU's stopped after obtaining their BA, while most of my friends at the UC's have gone on further. Its what program you like the best. but I am partial to the UC's providing a better education in the theory of the subjects than the CSU's.

hi guys.
im pretty sure this question has been asked before, but i couldnt find it on the search engine. i called usc and loma linda asking if they prefer a BS from a UC over a CSU school. they told me they dont. what i understod form them was CSU=UC. now i know this isnt true in the real world lol. i need your inputs. i was thinking of going to a local csu than applying for dental.

I went to CSUF, graduated with a B.S. and a 2.9. Took all my prequistes at a CC. I just got an interview at LLU so I don't think it really matters much too them. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Look into which CSUs and UCs have strong predental programs or which cities have access to dental clinics that you could volunteer at. This will be somewhat important since some CSUs and UCs have a better reputation with dental schools due to the programs they have set up. Otherwise, you just need to do really well at eiyther type of school and get great DAT scores and that's fine.

I am graduating from CSU Chico in May and wouldn't have chosen a different school. Unlike many UC schools, you can get to know the professors on a personal basis... ie. at parties. You also get plenty of oportunities to do research. I've done research on cardio vascular physiology under my advisor as well as going to the NIH to do research... they only take students from CSU Chico, Davis, and Michigan. If you have any doubts just contact me.

jeff

interviews: USC, UCSF, Michigan, Buffalo
aca 20/ pat 21
gpa 3.83

I have the choice to transfer to my local CSU this fall and have my total undergrad finished in 5 years, or I can stay another year at my CC and spend six years total if I chose to transfer to a UC.

The reason it would take another year if I chose the UC was that I didn't apply for the fall 07 term; my local CSU is still accepting applications so I sent one off a week or two ago.

Would it look better to have done:

a) 3 years at a CC and 2 years at a CSU

or

b) 4 years at a CC and 2 years at a UC

I was hoping I could get some opinions before I call schools.

I would worry more about doing well in my classes than what school I went to. I don't know for sure, but the impression I get is that dental schools may, in general, prefer you to take more of the prereqs at a University rather than a CC. If you're going to spend more time at a 4 year university, a CSU may be the better choice for you if cost is an issue (isn't it always?).

why would you spend 4 years at a CC? just curious.

responding to the OP, I have had great luck with going to a Cal State. I was getting my second bachelors from CSUN and took most all my prereq's and extra courses there, and I never was told anything bad about that school. I got interviews at every school I applied to and got accepted at some great schools. I think the Cal State system is pretty well respected, being that its the "teaching institute" as some call it seems to have a good reputation. If anything, my letters of rec from my teachers there wre probably what did it for me. I knew them all, they knew me really well, and I'm sure the LOR's reflected a personal touch rather than a generic letter. Best of luck

going to a UC makes you competitive since there are so many other students that are really smart. it makes you very studious when only 15% of the students in the class are going to get A's. I think its really gonna help me next year in D school

sorry about asking too many questions. im just hesitant about attending a csu because ive heard they dont do research (not sure though). is csu better or u of ariz?

I guess it depends on which CSU you go to, but at CSUN the guy I did research with was very well known to the medical and dental admissions committees. I don't know all the schools where the people in the research lab I was in got into, but I do know one got into yale for med school, a couple went to UCLA and Columbia, and two others got into harvard dental school and the research done in that lab at CSUN stood out. I can't say much about UC's since I haven't gone there, but I've heard with 400 or more students in a Bio class compared to the small number at CSU schools, you definately get a leg up on knowing your teacher and getting a LOR that's meaningful. I've known a few people that left the UC system to go to CSU schools to get a better education and enjoy their education more, and these people eventually went back to UC's for med and dental. There's smart folks at both types of schools so I think you should go with what works best for you, not what others will think of the school you went to. Get good grades, take a good courseload, and get to know the teachers who you'll eventually be asking for a LOR from.

I've heard that USC takes the most students from CSUN (out of all of the CSU's), they also accept a fair amount from CSULA. I know that in LA they have a good chemistry department and a decent bio department. The classes are relatively small, so you get to know your profs very well. They also have a lot of free resources if you're struggling w/classes. LA is a good school in my opinion, but of course san luis obispo is great. I wouldn't go to UCLA or UCR. My friends who graduated from UCLA don't know O-chem and G-chem as well as my friends from CSULA, maybe b/c classes at UCLA are too big? You get taught by TA's? At CSULA, in the chem dept they won't even allow a grad student to teach a LAB. Just an opinion.

I went to CSUSB and was accepted to each of the five dental schools in CA. Rock your DATs, that is greatest equalizer. Speaking of the education at CSUSB, while there was basically no pre-health advising, the instructors were second to none and it seemed as if the instructors were teaching to the DAT. This wasn't the case, but they prepared me greatly...24AA, 20PA

hi guys.
Dont go to UC. First, the students there are so competitive that i want to smack them sometimes. When you go the office hour, there are like dozen students there want to get noticed. Some professor are nice but most South campus professors are stucked up and mean. :(
I speak from my experience. If i could turn back time, i wont go to UC

Dont go to UC. First, the students there are so competitive that i want to smack them sometimes. When you go the office hour, there are like dozen students there want to get noticed. Some professor are nice but most South campus professors are stucked up and mean. :(
I speak from my experience. If i could turn back time, i wont go to UC

i agree that there are a bunch of brown-nosers, but a lot of the professors are really pretty cool, and the education is great. Go to a UC if money isn't a factor. good luck :thumbup:

dood....people get into medical school from community colleges man and became professors at the med school.....it depends on you to become how good of a dentist not a university....of course they dont care...

hi guys.

UofA!!! You will have the time of your life!! :banana:

I can not believe I'm graduating... :cry:

If I were you I would go to CSU... However when DAT time comes you're going to need to do alot more studying... But it will be worth it because your GPA will be a lot higher... I went to UCI for 4 years and my GPA was not that great...Now Im at CSUN doing and Masters in Public Health... My best advice to you is to go to CSU get a very high GPA then a decent DAT and you'll be good for dental... Don't worry so much about research GPA and DAT are about 98% of your app... Please trust me I'm wasting years of my life from that mistake... Goodluck...