CALC 2 for MED school???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TAKE CALC 2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Agent47

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have asked this question manytimes.....One last time...Should i take calc 2 or not? ..I was never good at math!!:( ..I've heard CALC 2 is the hardest one out of all CALC!! :scared:.....I'll prob. doing Bio Major. Please give your honest opinion!!

THANKS

Members don't see this ad.

You could always take stats instead if you are in need of a second math class. As far as I know, Calc 1 + Stats = OK at just about every med school. So I would say don't bother if you aren't a calc kind of person.

Check out the schools that you would like to apply to. If they require a year of calc, then take it. If they don't, save yourself the agony and skip it. I'm also not math-inclined, and looked up my local (Chicago) schools. Since none required calc, I didn't take it. And I had no problem finding 20+ schools to apply to (none of which require calc). There are a number that do require it - just take a look at the MSAR and see. Or do some searches. I think I once posted my list of schools that I compiled that require calc. I think that many will take calc 1 + stats, but I do recall seeing one or two that don't.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let me reassure you that Calc II is not that difficult. All my exams in Calc III were take home and I did worse by about a percentage point whereas in Calc II they were all in-class exams. Calc II makes sense to me, calc III didn't because I also did number theories (sets).

Let me reassure you that Calc II is not that difficult. All my exams in Calc III were take home and I did worse by about a percentage point whereas in Calc II they were all in-class exams. Calc II makes sense to me, calc III didn't because I also did number theories (sets).
Thanks that helps a bit!! ...Looks like I might as well just take it!. ..Hope i do better:confused:

Thanks that helps a bit!! ...Looks like I might as well just take it!. ..Hope i do better:confused:

If you're not a math person, then I personally don't think you should take it. Did you take Calc I already at your school? How'd you do? If it wasn't an easy A then Calc II won't be a good experience either.

I was engineering so I took through Calc 4 and Calc I and II were a joke and III and 4 were still easy for me, but that's just me, so I wouldn't take anyone's reassurance that calc II will be easy, no offense.

cal II sucked, if you are a bio major you should have to take it though.

my instructor said for us (premed), its just a weeder course and will never use this crap again (not like that but you get the picture.)

edit...^^oh and cal I was an easy A for me, cal II is completely diff from cal I

I dont know any school that requires it. I took it,a nd it was super hard. I had to study my butt off to make an A

If you're planning on majoring in any of the sciences calc 2 is probably a requirement. Aside from that, I found calc 2 to be really interesting. Calc 1 was just the bare bones of limits, derivatives, integrals, etc. Calc 2 was predominanltly integrals and their applications as far as infinite series, Taylor series, etc. Really cool stuff; although "cool" to me may translate into something else to other people. If you don't have to take it and you think it might pull down your gpa, then please don't, but if you want to work hard and learn some math that is pretty neat then I think you should go for it.

I AP'd out of Calc 1 and 2 and went on to Calc 3, diff EQ + LA, and Diff EQ and Partial Diff EQ.

Anyone know if schools usually accept AP credit, especially if you keep going in math anyway?

At a semester school, Calc II generally is the hardest. Calc III is just Calc I all over again with more variables. I'm at a quarter school and so Calc II is basically the second half of Calc I at a semester school. Both Calc I and Calc II are required for a bachelors of science major in the sciences - don't want to take it? you end up with a BA.

I AP'd out of Calc 1 and 2 and went on to Calc 3, diff EQ + LA, and Diff EQ and Partial Diff EQ.

Anyone know if schools usually accept AP credit, especially if you keep going in math anyway?

Yeah, you're good.

My school doesn't require any calc for a biology major with concentration in pre-health prep. I thought that was weird and I'm planning to take calc 1 anyhow. I cut calc 2 out because I don't have any room in my schedule over the next couple years to fit it in. My pre-health advisor told me I don't need any calc, but I'm taking it anyway because I don't want to be quite so limited in where I can and can't apply. However I've only seen one or two schools that require a whole year of calc. Most schools that require calc only require one semester of it.

I always wondered how they teach pharmacology in med school without calc. To understand things like the rates of drug elimination, drug clearance, dose and clearance relationships, and bioavailability you definitely need calc.

asking 'should i take calc 2' isn't a straightforward answer.

if you are at a quarter school, you need to take calc 2 to get a full semseter in calculus. my one semester of calculus was equal to 1.5 quarters of calculus in terms of the material covered.

Unless it's required, I don't think that calc 2 helps you much, if any. Do things that you want to do.

I always find out the curve of any class reputed to be difficult before I take it. If it's curved to anywhere in the B range, I'd go ahead and take it.