1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Calcium stones in pt with hypercalcemia

Discussion in 'Step II' started by Major0909, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Major0909

Major0909 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    hey quick question for you guys-

lets say a pt has recurrent calcium stones with hypercalcemia and youve given IVF/pain control and the question asks for your next treatment (ive seen this in a couple of places for Step 1 and 2)

I know you dont want to give loops (decrease body Ca but increase renal Ca) but what about thiazides which do the opposite (increase body Ca but prevent renal Ca excretion)

I never go for Loops on these questions and go for the thiazides but it always seemed kind of weird to me that you would increase total body Ca (is that accurate?)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 4424

4424 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    but you are also decreasing the calcium in the urine which would decrease stone formation

4. ucbdancn00

ucbdancn00 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

As previously said...the idea behind HCTHZ is to help decrease the amount of Ca2+ in the urine by increase renal absorption. Of course this requires copious monitoring in patients with already high normal Ca levels.

hope this helps

ucb

5. Doc Ivy

Doc Ivy Miss Understood
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    This is also why Thiazides are usually the drugs of choice for little old osteoporotic ladies with systolic hypertension, in this case you take advantage of the decreased calciuresis and resulting increased serum calcium