Calcium

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mg777

Tooth Mechanic
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The absorption of calcium from the small intestine is increased by:

A. ingestion of fat
B. high phosphate intake
C. administration of vitamin a
D. lowering of PH in the intestine
E. administration of parathyroid hormone

Answer: D

PTH increases blood calcium via resorbing bone, and also I thought from increasing reabsorption in the intestine. Whats the dealio?

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen this question too and didn't like it. Administration of PTH causes increased activation of Vitamin D in the kideny (to the active 1,25 form). The active vitamin d then increases intestinal calcium absorption.

i have looked and looked and I have not found the pH relationship yet.

I also would have to go with E.

liohnhutlz, thanks for the replies. your knowledge is indeed extensive and input is greatly appreciated. glad to know someone else is noticed these inaccuracies as well

A. ingestion of fat
B. high phosphate intake

PTH increases blood calcium via resorbing bone, and also I thought from increasing reabsorption in the intestine. Whats the dealio?

I do agree that the ans should be PTH but it has an indirect effect on intestinal ca absorption as in PTH act on vit D which further increases ca absorption in gut.

I also came across few interesting facts and would like to share :

Factors favouring absorption include:
acidic environment

calcitriol

Intestinal pH also affects calcium absorption—absorption is optimal with normal stomach acidity generated at meal times. Thus, persons with reduced stomach acidity (e.g., elderly persons, or persons on acid-reducing medicines) do not absorb calcium as well as others do.

This suggests that lowering the the pH of intestine can also be correct.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do agree that the ans should be PTH but it has an indirect effect on intestinal ca absorption as in PTH act on vit D which further increases ca absorption in gut.

I also came across few interesting facts and would like to share :

Factors favouring absorption include:
acidic environment

calcitriol

Intestinal pH also affects calcium absorption—absorption is optimal with normal stomach acidity generated at meal times. Thus, persons with reduced stomach acidity (e.g., elderly persons, or persons on acid-reducing medicines) do not absorb calcium as well as others do.

This suggests that lowering the the pH of intestine can also be correct.

I always here that you should take Ca supplements with orange juice (acidic) to increase the absorption of the calcium. So your explanation above makes sense to me.

Found this on an osteoporosis site.

Many other factors influence calcium absorption, among them lifestyle, exercise, dietary intake, and pH balance of the gastrointestinal tract. Effective calcium absorption begins in the stomach. If the stomach produces too little stomach acid (hydrochloric acid), calcium remains insoluble and cannot be ionized, which is necessary for it to be assimilated in the intestines. Ionization is the process where an atom changes its structure so that it can combine with other elements. This is why chelated calcium, like many other chelates, is much more absorbable: the decreased pH helps ionic bonding which is necessary for intestinal uptake.

The proper level of hydrochloric acid in the stomach is so important that its lack in the digestive process can account for as much as 80 percent loss of available calcium absorption. Studies show stomach acid secretion decreases with age, and, "up to 40 percent of post-menopausal women may be severely deficient in this natural stomach acid," writes Dr. Joseph Pizzorno in the recent best selling book, "Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine."

Factors leading to reduced stomach acid include a diet of over-cooked, over-processed, lifeless foods which no longer contain naturally occurring enzyme activity, as well as the excess consumption of antacid medications. Any nutritional program that wishes to properly address osteoporosis and other conditions caused by a lack of calcium and calcium absorption MUST include supplements which provide for the adequate replacement of lost stomach acid.

A. ingestion of fat
B. high phosphate intake