1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Calculator CDM vs. Real DAT

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by Hope30, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Hope30

Pre-Dental
    So guys, I know that we have a crappy calculator on real DAT. I wonder is it similar to CDM calculator cuz I somewhat ok with their calculator...or is it worse. Also, I do not have Math Destroyer. So far, I only use DAT Destroyer math that goes with the science and CDM. For some reasons, I think they are considerably simple. Does DAT Destroyer math portion good enough for prep? I have limited amount of time/money. Also, are Math Destroyer questions similar to Dat destroyer math questions, but just more practice? Sorry for all these merry go round questions. Just don't like surprise that hurt my score. Thanks.

#1 Hope30, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SLYgUy2098

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    From what I've heard, the online calculator is very similar to the default Windows calculator. Maybe CDM is similar to that? But again as I've read on SDN here and heard from my friends who took the DAT with the (new) calculator function, they all recommended to not use it. One of my friends who took the exam this past July even went as far as saying "I wish I never opened the calculator".

4. Hope30

Pre-Dental
    Online calculator you mention is even better than CDM. lol I did not think it is too bad. Good for questions like rank the faction from smallest to largest. :thumbup:

5. Demps

Dental Student
    I heard the calculator on DAT is okay. on CDM you can click fast and the calculator is very functional. I've read some people's comments on how horrible their calculator was on the exam, but if you give some time in between... say 0.5 sec between each click, I think it will be responsive (someone mentioned it not too long ago). I don't expect the calculator on the DAT to be super-responsive CDM like calculator, so I probably wouldn't use it unless I have to.

As far as the level of difficulty, back of the QR section on destroyer and CDM looks a lot easier than Math Destroyer. It may be just that I've started off with Math Destroyer and got my ass served and learned some from it and moved on to CDM and QR on back of the science section of destroyer... but I hit 38/40 or better on half of the CDM tests and ~85% correct on QR destroyer. Some of Math Destroyer tests, I still could not finish on time or hit 25+ /40 on the second run....especially Test#11.

I hope the level of the difficulty is easier than Math Destroyer on the real DAT...

good luck!

6. Hope30

Pre-Dental
    Thanks, now I am a little worry with Math, but I'll be alright. Thanks again :thumbup:

7. SLYgUy2098

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Math Destroyer is way harder than the DAT. And it's not uncommon to run out of time with it. From what I've seen with TopScore vs. Math Destroyer...if you can get to #25-30 with about 5 minutes remaining you can easily finish TopScore. And from what I'm seeing, if you can finish TopScore, you can finish the real DAT.