Calculator on OAT

Framecontrol

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are we allowed to use a simple calculator on the OAT?

My basic math skills are awful, I have used a calculator my whole life and now I think they want to take it away!!! ahhhh!

Anyone know?

Members don't see this ad.

I wish!! I'm computer dependent as well but no, you're not allowed to use any sort of calculator on the test.

Members don't see this ad :)
All you can do is practice! I had my calculator taken away in Gr. 12 and I haven't gotten it back yet for my math courses so it wasn't a big deal for me. But practice, practice, practice! Also, if you're using a study guide like Kaplan, just remember that some of the example questions they give are impossible to try to do quickly without a calculator, and you won't get Q's like those on the test. Also, if you try the opted.org sample test, it will give you a really good idea of the complexity of the physics and math sections.

I thought it would be hard too, but it didn't turn out that bad. Just practice without a calculator. The calculations aren't really all that tough to do.

is there any type of math strategy article that tells you how to estimate calculations? I find dividing decimal numbers in my head difficult :confused: thanks!

In may they are allowing a scientific calculator on the computer. Great, just in time for it to be too late for those that want to get into school next fall. And the dat will have one on there's in march.

In may they are allowing a scientific calculator on the computer. Great, just in time for it to be too late for those that want to get into school next fall. And the dat will have one on there's in march.

Seriously? I don't think a calculator was necessary on any of the questions. I wonder if they will toughen up the questions now.

As far as strategy.. it helps to round off, and look at the possible answers. Keep in mind if your actual figure should be higher or lower due to rounding in case there are 2 numbers that are close.

But what helps with the trigonometry questions? "The big Kaplan book" only covers trig for about 10 pages, and its one of the most difficult subjects to me. Is there a certain book/method you found useful for those types of questions?

You will be given one on the screen starting sometime in May, before that no calculators will be allowed.

hey thanks for the info, could you guys give me a link to where I can read up on updates to the OAT? cant seem to find this info anywhere...

seems to me that if they allow calculators, either the problems will be tougher or less time allowed...

That's sad, because unless they completely redo the QR section, the calculator will probably just result in an extremely skewed percentile scoring distribution. It always seemed to me like the whole point of that section was to see if someone was capable of doing math quickly, without the aid of a calculator.

wow that sounds good lol, although....a basic calculator on the computer screen doesnt sound that great anyways. But i guess its better than nothing. They probably will change up the QR section a little, or just make more answers in terms of fractions or something...but then again it would only take a few more seconds to figure out which is the actual answer.

Anyone who will be taking the test with the calculator, please tell us what has changed and how it felt.