Calculus 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kewkiez

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was really wondering whether or not I should stick with Calc 2 or not. I mean, the only reason why I'm taking the class is so schools could see that I'm not your usual bio major taking these generic classes. I was hoping I could make my transcript stand out but to be honest, I'm kind of struggling with the class right now and so far we've only have one quiz which I did pretty well on but the material I'm looking at now isn't really sinking in.

Should I just withdraw from the class and save my GPA while focusing on EC's and other things instead?

Members don't see this ad.

Adcoms don't look for whether or not you've taken a neat class. Stand out with your ECs not the classes you take.

Also even if they were doing that, calc is a really standard class for a science student to take so it doesn't show anything unusual anyway.

Reactions: 2 users
Drop it if you don't like it. No one will care that you've taken it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, I was really wondering whether or not I should stick with Calc 2 or not. I mean, the only reason why I'm taking the class is so schools could see that I'm not your usual bio major taking these generic classes. I was hoping I could make my transcript stand out but to be honest, I'm kind of struggling with the class right now and so far we've only have one quiz which I did pretty well on but the material I'm looking at now isn't really sinking in.

Should I just withdraw from the class and save my GPA while focusing on EC's and other things instead?

What are you struggling on? There are lots of online resources that are far more excellent than what professors can teach. If it's something personal, you can PM me.

@Everyone - Thanks for your replies! It turns out that the pre-med requirements for my school do want me to take Calc 2 and then that'll be all for math.

@Lawper - Well, we've taken a second quiz already which I did poorly on. It was about finding areas of curves/whatever in 3D so, like the Disk and Washer method is something I'm not too good at. I've looked at some online stuff, yes but the thing is our quizzes and tests will be based on homework problems we have online which is so damn annoying. The homework problems are usually much tougher than the lecture problems (and the quiz ones so far...) and if you get an answer wrong, you pretty much have to start over with a new problem.

However, I managed to join a study group and maybe then that'll help.

Your med school requires Calc II or your school's pre-med program requires Calc II?

I'd still recommend you drop if you don't get a W. I was good in math - and Calc II was like a blurr. Then I saw series again in some other math class. By now, ever time I see that sigma- I wanna puke.

My university's pre-med program pretty much requires it. Even if I do drop it, it's also required for my major in Biology. I can't win, loool.

Calc in general makes me want to puke.

It was required for my major, too.
Love calc though, math nerd. lol

But drop it if it's gonna bring your GPA down.

My university's pre-med program pretty much requires it. Even if I do drop it, it's also required for my major in Biology. I can't win, loool.

So just drop your pre-med program? And take the normal classes one would take for applying to med school? Requiring you to take a class outside of the traditional curriculum for pre-med students or outside of your major is ridiculous. Calc 2 is not a weed out course; most people who take it belong in it (whether one does good or not is up to them, but I'd hate to think that they're using this as a measure of worthiness of being pre-med?)

Love calculus too, but let's be honest, calc 2 is leaps and bounds harder than calc 1. The average in my class was below passing grade (no curve).

Reactions: 1 user

Agreed, Calc sucks. But what was the point of this thread exactly if you just tell everyone you can't withdraw from the class anyway?

Agreed, Calc sucks. But what was the point of this thread exactly if you just tell everyone you can't withdraw from the class anyway?
That was before I realized I do have to take the class.

@Lawper - Well, we've taken a second quiz already which I did poorly on. It was about finding areas of curves/whatever in 3D so, like the Disk and Washer method is something I'm not too good at. I've looked at some online stuff, yes but the thing is our quizzes and tests will be based on homework problems we have online which is so damn annoying. The homework problems are usually much tougher than the lecture problems (and the quiz ones so far...) and if you get an answer wrong, you pretty much have to start over with a new problem.

Online homework is stupid, I'll give you that. But the idea is to use the same method all over again with different values and find underlying similarity. I learned a shortcut to help get through these problems, but since it's difficult to explain it visually by writing, I will leave this (https://www.khanacademy.org/math/integral-calculus/solid_revolution_topic).

It was a requirement for my bio major too, pretty much only because it used to be a pre-med prerequisite. I took it freshman year and it wrecked my GPA. Then of course by my senior year they get rid of the requirement because they finally realized that med schools don't require a full year of calc anymore. I should have just waited -_- That class has haunted me for my entire pre-med career, but thankfully it doesn't seem to be hurting me after all.

Online homework is stupid, I'll give you that. But the idea is to use the same method all over again with different values and find underlying similarity. I learned a shortcut to help get through these problems, but since it's difficult to explain it visually by writing, I will leave this (https://www.khanacademy.org/math/integral-calculus/solid_revolution_topic).

Thanks a lot, I'll be using this to review the content I've learned for my test next week! I mean, I have the quizzes and other homework I've been able to do so, I should be okay for now.

And taking classes that aren't necessary for fun is a big no-no imo.