Nov 20, 2009
Midwest
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey everyone,

So my freshman year, second semester I got a D+ in calculus (my lack of motivation and lack of the professor teaching). I know that's a pretty bad grade, but I was wondering if it would be worth it to retake it since it isn't a prereq? I can't guarantee I'll get an A in it because I won't be able to take it for another year (so 2 years off calculus). If I have to I'll take it, but I would rather focus on my other science courses like cell bio, microbio, genetics... etc.

Thoughts?

LuciusVorenus

Bad Medicine
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Retake it. Aside from helping you out aesthetically and GPA wise math is strongly recommended by some upper tier med schools. Besides, do you want to be the applicant that "failed math and never tried it again".

futureIDdoc

Removed
Dec 18, 2009
Texas
Status
Hey everyone,

So my freshman year, second semester I got a D+ in calculus (my lack of motivation and lack of the professor teaching). I know that's a pretty bad grade, but I was wondering if it would be worth it to retake it since it isn't a prereq? I can't guarantee I'll get an A in it because I won't be able to take it for another year (so 2 years off calculus). If I have to I'll take it, but I would rather focus on my other science courses like cell bio, microbio, genetics... etc.

Thoughts?
Some schools require two semesters of passing math grades. Better to retake than to test whether D+ fulfills one of those.

Nov 20, 2009
Midwest
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks for the advice. Hopefully it will go better a second time now that I'm at a different school :xf:

LuciusVorenus

Bad Medicine
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Thanks for the advice. Hopefully it will go better a second time now that I'm at a different school :xf:
Math just takes practice. Luckily math is the same wherever you go and in every textbook. Try to access the syllabus from a previous years course, buy a cheap old textbook+teacher's solution manual off amazon (it'll probably be around 30 bucks) and start doing problems during the summer. You'll get an A.

futureIDdoc

Removed
Dec 18, 2009
Texas
Status
Math just takes practice. Luckily math is the same wherever you go and in every textbook. Try to access the syllabus from a previous years course, buy a cheap old textbook+teacher's solution manual off amazon (it'll probably be around 30 bucks) and start doing problems during the summer. You'll get an A.
All great points. :thumbup:

May 27, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I took calc in high school and retook both calc I and II in college. It's much much easier the second time around, at least for me. Things that I never realized before definitely clicked the second time. Hopefully it'll be the same for you!

Jan 2, 2010
Reality, or so i think.
Status
If i had to do calculus on my own, i prob just barely pass. but my school had alot of TAs for a big class like calculus, so when ever i couldn't do my assignment or needed help to study for midterms, i always went to them. they basically carried me thro calculus.