Calculus and Physcis in Optometry School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Commando303

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How great an emphasis is placed ion calculus and on physics in optometry college? I should imagine a much greater amount would be on biology and chemistry, and that more "mathematical" items would be set aside, but I wonder if anyone who knows first-hand could enlighten me with the truth.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

calculus I don't know... but physics is HUGE...

optics, refracting patients, is all based on physics...

I've never had to do more than basic algebra and some trig (you know like tan = opp/adj type stuff). I don't think you will ever use more than that. The math isn't terribly hard. Physics = optics in optometry school. It's all about what light and lenses are doing. That is all the physics you will be doing. You get a lot of optics though. None of this gravity/ramps/electricty stuff you had to learn in undergrad. And as far as chemistry, it is REALLY toned down. The only chemistry you get is some biochemistry. You won't have to know pathways and all of that stuff though. It is REALLY basic. So I wouldn't worry about those classes. You will have much harder classes such as the disease courses and pharmacology (at least at my school you will).

Members don't see this ad :)
Which school do you attend, Oogilily?

I'm glad the physics won't be very heat/electricity/magnetism-heavy, but perhaps somewhat lament there won't be much chemistry (I think I enjoy the latter, a bit...).

Thank you, both. :rolleyes:

There is a lot of "math" in day to day optometry, but I think the value of requiring calculus is that it's a great way to identify those who are analytical thinkers, something that is vital to optometry & most health professions.

You want your doctor to be smart, and not just "memorize and regurgitate" smart.

I go to Pacific.

There is a lot of "math" in day to day optometry, but I think the value of requiring calculus is that it's a great way to identify those who are analytical thinkers, something that is vital to optometry & most health professions.

You want your doctor to be smart, and not just "memorize and regurgitate" smart.

I think they require calculus to weed out people who aren't very good at math. yes, OD school is only optics which requires a basic knowledge of physics/ algebra/ geometry. (triangles are your friends, kids!) But, in order to solve the optics problems you need critical thinking skills. Someone who barely made it out of college algebra is not going to be able to handle that kind of complex problem.

Currently, I'm in a neuro grad level course that is a mix of physics and bio (but actually much more neurophysics than bio). Would there also be courses with this kind of emphasis? Specifically, I'm going to SUNY.