Calculus Argh!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaypea65

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, You may think that I am a little insane for asking this question. I am currently working on my prereqs, and I still need to take calculus. Problem is that I am trying to get out of taking precalc if possible because it is not required for my major, and I don't feel like wasting the money if I can get by without it. I am very good at learning things on my own since I have taken numerous online courses. Question..... Do you think it is possible to teach yourself precalc or pre self-learn calculus before taking the course? Can you recommend any learning vehicles (books, videos) that would give me a reasonable chance of success at calculus?

Members don't see this ad.

Pre-Cal is a lot like Trig...but easier. That's just my opinion. At the school I went to, I still had to take Pre-Cal before Cal regardless. So, check with your school. I wouldn't take if I didn't have to b/c it won't help with Cal. You just need to be really strong in Algebra for Cal.

Which math course have you taken up to?

If you've taken Trig, then borrow a calculus and start learning the materials on your own.

I assume that you're still at a community college since community colleges are most likely to offer online classes. If you are, try to petition to take calculus without pre-cal through a placement test.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't even take precalculus. I went straight on taking calculusI and Calculus II. Another way to pass by precalculus.

I didn't even take precalculus. I went straight on taking calculusI and Calculus II. Another way to pass by precalculus

I was required to take pre-calc as a prereq for Calc. If your school has pre-calc as a pre-req you can try to get the pre-req over-ridden, but otherwise you may be stuck. I didn't really find pre-calc all that useful in terms of preparing for calc. We just did advanced trig with proofs basically. We barely even touched derivatives or integrals.

Its depends on your school, Precal will help you started on cal, but i didnt take precal and went to cal straight on, Fortunately the teacher is very nice and very detail with the explaination, so it very easy. I tried taking AP cal w/ out pre cal in highschool, i took trig and ana geo instead. Honestly, the AP cal make no sense to me, and I have no idea whats going on. As the result I end up taking the derivative of everything i see. So a good tip for taking Cal is, take the first derivative, if it dont make sense, take another one, and so on until it does. Goodluck

you don't need pre-cal to do well in cal. pre-cal is a review of all the math you've taken previously (except for determinants which is not even in any of the three calculus). i took it over the summer and it wasn't so bad. however, the concepts of calculus is different so don't expect them to be related fields.

I skipped Precalc because of placement testing and went straight into calculus I, II, and III. I did very well in calculus despite the fact that prior to college the highest level math I had was Trig.

My story is similar to the ones above. Though for me, I was highly concerned about jumping straight into a Calculus course without having any math/school for a few years. I took a chance and it paid off, but I am convinced it was only because of the professor I had. Incredible professor :thumbup:, find one, that is the key.

Yeah I found that there was a lot more trig in calculus than pre-calc, if you were to break down the classes into how much they would help you.

Precalc is basically a continuation of algebra, the name's a little misleading.

I think it's possible to teach yourself pre-calc as long as you've taken once before, like in high school. I wouldn't recommend teaching it to yourself on your own, but if you have a friend who's good in math or you know you could easily get ahold of a teacher who could explain the material to you, then yeah I'd get out of it as a class in college and take it as correspondence.

i too am jumpis strihg into calculus I .... 5 credis as a pre req this summer.....

i hope i can mamage it cos the last time i did main math was in my high school where i finished the required calculus but since i dont have a COLLEGE credit i hav to take it again as per my admissions officer. i am takin them at linnbenton college at corvallis oregon as they dotn need placement tests ot prereqs if i am not plannin to pursue a degree at their college.

So please help me out if the course is that hard or by attending the classes we will easily get a C or better in it

i too am jumpis strihg into calculus I .... 5 credis as a pre req this summer.....

i hope i can mamage it cos the last time i did main math was in my high school where i finished the required calculus but since i dont have a COLLEGE credit i hav to take it again as per my admissions officer. i am takin them at linnbenton college at corvallis oregon as they dotn need placement tests ot prereqs if i am not plannin to pursue a degree at their college.

So please help me out if the course is that hard or by attending the classes we will easily get a C or better in it

If you attend class and have even a slight knack for math, you should do fine. I got an A in Calc I and a B in Calc II without much studying, just did the homework and took the tests.

Im taking calc right now and no one ever said anything to me about precalc. That could suck and sounds completely unnessicary

I was in the same situtuation, pre-calc wasn't required for my degree so I just went ahead and took Calc I and Calc II and I. Math is not my best subject, but I was able to pull it off just fine!

At my school, both MAC1114 Trig and MAC1140 Pre-Calc were pre reqs for MAC2311 Calc. The other option was to take the combined 5 credit pre-req, MAC1147. It saved me a semester math.