Calculus at Community College?

Screwtape

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am currently a senior. Calculus is a major requirement, however, math is my weakest subject-- I am not horrible at math, just not up to par with my other subjects. I was wondering if it would be acceptable to take Calculus at the community college in my hometown and transfer that credit towards my biology degree. I have heard that credits tranferred from community colleges do not show up on your GPA so that would probably help me out for future dental admissions. I am also completing pre-calculus this year, so I think if I just dove into Calculus this summer I would remember most things and perform better. I am hoping to go to dental school in the future. Would this matter to admissions? I have also heard that most colleges do not accept credits from community colleges if they are a major requirement. Is this true? If yes, then i cannot take calculus at the community college?

Thanks in advance for the responses!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It depends on the university's policy... some will accept certain courses and not others and some will accept certain colleges and not others. Also if you're dual enrolling some universities only will count it as a high school credit or college hours; not both.

Depending on how horrible you are at math and what level you have completed... (pre-calc?) I would say just take advantage of study groups, math labs , and office hours rather then do the same class at CC

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on the university's policy... some will accept certain courses and not others and some will accept certain colleges and not others. Also if you're dual enrolling some universities only will count it as a high school credit or college hours; not both.

Yup, CScull is right. My high school offered college classes for free that were organized by an "ehh" state school around here, and everyone advised me against it because they said if I ended up going to a better university or college, that they probably wouldn't accept those courses as credit. You should make sure to get that situation sorted out before anything.

The above posts have varying levels of truthiness to them.

1. verify that the CC course will transfer to your school.
2. While the grade from the CC course might not show up on your GPA, medical school and dental school applications independently calculate a GPA that is based on all college courses including CCs.
3. Going to a CC to take a hard course is generally looked down upon by medical and dental schools. They know exactly what you are trying to do, artificially inflate your GPA by taking an easier course.

My advice; suck it up and take the course at your university. Work hard on it and rock it out.

I agree with the previous post. Suck it up. Some courses are hard, it's college, don't avoid tough classes just to pad your GPA. Maybe it's just me, but if you make it into a good college, I feel you should take their courses, not some easy way out.

I'm a tad confused on whether you're taking this class as a high school student or as a college student... I would say take the class if you're in high school. If it doesn't transfer then at least you'll have an idea of what it will be like when you take it as a freshman... the extra 10% on your GPA doesn't hurt either (for scholarships... but you're graduating soo...).

It really depends on the university.

Someone's been watching a bit to much Colbert... Seelee...

I'm a tad confused on whether you're taking this class as a high school student or as a college student... I would say take the class if you're in high school. If it doesn't transfer then at least you'll have an idea of what it will be like when you take it as a freshman... the extra 10% on your GPA doesn't hurt either (for scholarships... but you're graduating soo...).

It really depends on the university.

Someone's been watching a bit to much Colbert... Seelee...

I don't watch Colbert actually (don't get comedy central). I guess I missed the reference.

Ah, Truthiness is just one of his words.

It may be a bad assumption that calculus will be easier at a community college. Then you are really stuck if you get a C at the community college and everyone assumes it was an easier course. It is the same math no matter where you learn it.

I did two years at CC before university. As far as I can tell, the classes weren't much different, other than that it was easier to get access to the prof.

You need to be sure when you go to Wisconsin-Madison that you actually enroll in Calculus. There are many individuals that take upper level math courses in high school, but when they get to college it is a different story.
Also, it is not a good idea to take a difficult course during a shorter than normal school semseter, this results in reduce time to pass the course. :)

Hey man I think I might be going up to madison next year also. We'll do some practice problems together! (I'm in calc AB now, it's actually not that hard, but i assume it will be much more difficult at the college level)

Hey man I think I might be going up to madison next year also. We'll do some practice problems together! (I'm in calc AB now, it's actually not that hard, but i assume it will be much more difficult at the college level)

Honestly, it isn't. I did BC calc so it was a bit different. But when I got to college, it was essentially taking calc over again, but easier since I already knew it all.