Calculus-based physics (and other courses)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hmockingbird

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This came up in another thread and I am just curious about your experiences. My college physics class was "calculus-based" and I believe you had to take Calc I to get in (not sure because I have a calc AP credit, so I didn't really pay attention). This was the class that everyone who was pre-professional or a science major took. I keep hearing about how you don't need to take calculus-based physics so I wanted to hear if others' experiences with c-based physics were similar to mine?

In my physics classes (I and II), calc came up maybe 10 times max. One was the acceleration/velocity thing where you plot the graph of one based on the equation of the other and that was based on derivatives/integrals (it's been two years, I don't remember exactly!). Another was something with taking the derivative of logarithms. Our professor demonstrated differentiations of maybe two or three equations and we weren't required to know them or write them down, it was just for general information. Honestly I feel like sometimes we had problems on our tests that had to do with calc just so they could say it was calc-based. They'd give us a random physics equation and have us take the derivative or plot the derivative but that would be the extent of the problem. It really had nothing to do with physics.

I'm having a similar experience in biochem. I think it's also calc-based but we did one "derivation" that was really just algebra - flipping around numbers.

Maybe it's... I don't want to say dumbed down, but we don't have a huge focus on calc because these are courses everyone has to take? Has anyone taken a calc-based general physics class where there was actually a lot of calc?

Edit: To add that whenever we did anything calc-related in physics the professor would review it with us. He walked us through how to do simple differentiations/integrations and everything. You had to take a math competency quiz to stay in the course, but it was short, competition points, very simple problems, and I think you could retake it 3 times.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My school only offered calculus-based physics. It was similar to what you described. What's your concern?

Last edited:
Most school only offered calculus-based physics. It was similar to what you described. What's your concern?

Sorry if that wasn't clear. I have read a few threads where people have advocated taking algebra-based physics, and that it's offered at most schools. So I was wondering if especially where this is offered (I don't think we have it?) if calculus-based physics is harder - because my physics class didn't have very challenging math.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not aware of any schools that let you choose between algebra-based and calc-based physics. As far as I know, schools only offer one or the other. As someone who took calc-based physics, I don't recall doing any crazy math. It was all simple and straightforward, so I doubt people who take calc-based physics are at a disadvantage.

I took calculus based physics at a community college and some of the problems in the second semester (Electromagnetism) were fairly advanced. By the end we were doing triple integrals, partial derivatives and differential equations. Nothing that would make a math or physics major scratch their head but for us math-phobic folks it took a while to catch on.

Maybe it's... I don't want to say dumbed down, but we don't have a huge focus on calc because these are courses everyone has to take? Has anyone taken a calc-based general physics class where there was actually a lot of calc?

You know the situation at your school. It's different at other schools. At MIT, for example, the required physics classes assume that you are proficient with calculus, and regularly give you problems that require real calculus work in order to solve. It's different at every school. I'm not really sure what you're looking for here.

I'm not aware of any schools that let you choose between algebra-based and calc-based physics. As far as I know, schools only offer one or the other. As someone who took calc-based physics, I don't recall doing any crazy math. It was all simple and straightforward, so I doubt people who take calc-based physics are at a disadvantage.

My university offers 4 different "flavors" of physics sequences.

1. Physics for non-science majors,
2. physics for life-science majors,
3. physics for engineers and physical science majors,
4. physics for physics majors.

I took AP physics C in high school(both parts) and the last semester from sequence 3 above.

My university offers 4 different "flavors" of physics sequences.

1. Physics for non-science majors,
2. physics for life-science majors,
3. physics for engineers and physical science majors,
4. physics for physics majors.

I took AP physics C in high school(both parts) and the last semester from sequence 3 above.

Okay. I think it's becoming clear that which type of physics you take varies by school. I don't see what other insight OP is looking for.

My university offers 5 "flavors" of Physics
1. Algebra Based Physics for non-engineers ( For Bio and everyone)
2. Algebra Based Physics for Life Science Majors ( Small class size + Only for Bio majors) < Pilot Course>
3. Calculus based Physics for Chemists and Zoologists
4. Calculus Based Physics for Engineers & Physicist ( 3 Courses)
5. Calculus Based Physics for Physicists only ( 3 Courses)

The textbook for the algebra-based physics class I took was full of "biomedical application" sidebars, clearly geared for a pre-med audience. There must be enough such classes offered to warrant such a text going into its 8th or 9th edition.

I took calc based physics I and II for scientist and engineers (engineers, physicists, chemists). I didn't find the math very challenging, I got a B in physics I for skipping class (attendance points... wow was I an immature freshman to miss out on those points) and a B in physics II for what was a crummy semester (just missed the A). I loved being able to do calculus to solve the problems and when I was trying to help a friend who was in the algebra based physics class I failed miserably. Not that I couldn't solve the problem, I just explained it in terms of calculus and found it 100X easier than "memorize this equation." My responses would always be similar to the following: "integrate the gaussian sphere!... wait, FREAK you can't do that."

Likewise, my TA for physics II lab also TAed for an algebra physics II lab. She complained about it every class and went on to explain that whenever she was asked "why does this equation work" that she would start to mathematically explain it, only to end with "Oh wait, you guys can't integrate... just trust me it, it works."

My second undergrad (mid-tier school) offered a lot of options: engineering, algebra-based, for biology, for physics, and calc-based. You could choose among them if you were a biology or chemistry major. Some schools' versions of physics for biologists is the equivalent of upper level mechanics for physics majors at other schools (CalTech, if you're wondering). It varies, I guess.

We get it, your smart. Your a smart guy. You think the courses like physics and biochemistry are dumbed down and stuff. You could probably cure cancer. I will applaud you. :)

But your right, you don't really need calculus to do the physics in those courses.

My school offers physics with calc (which is what I assume you're referring to) and physics without it. Most people take physics with calc but you need to have taken up to calc 2 to complete that sequence, meaning you can't take like physics I with calc and then physics II without it.

Honestly though at our school there's little difference between the two. Calc-based physics here doesn't emphasize a lot of it. Can't speak for other schools though

Calculus Based Physics for Physicists only ( 3 Courses)

images