Calculus, Do I really need it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sike08

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have taken the necessary pre-reqs for math (for med school) Calc 1, but i have just entered my physics class (which is non-calc based) and found that i really enjoy it. my major is biochem/biophysics and i believe i will need a larger grasp of the physics aspect to really understand everything. that being said, should i take a higher level calc course to set me up for the higher level physics i have to take??

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. Higher level physics is very calculus intensive. Calculus by itself can be painful (calc 2 at my univ. was a pain), but it's extremely useful, even if just for the analytical abilities it gives your mind with true understanding.

I have taken the necessary pre-reqs for math (for med school) Calc 1, but i have just entered my physics class (which is non-calc based) and found that i really enjoy it. my major is biochem/biophysics and i believe i will need a larger grasp of the physics aspect to really understand everything. that being said, should i take a higher level calc course to set me up for the higher level physics i have to take??

thanks.

Yes, you need calculus to get into medical school but most likely will not need it afterwards. However, you will need to know statistics. Why that isn't a requirement, I have no idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
Both posts aboveme are wrong, the majority of medical schools actually do NOT require calc, but rather a year/ semester of college level math. Which could be statistics or something else.

And the majority of premeds take trig based physics. You do NOT have to take calc based physics.

Both posts aboveme are wrong, the majority of medical schools actually do NOT require calc, but rather a year/ semester of college level math. Which could be statistics or something else.

And the majority of premeds take trig based physics. You do NOT have to take calc based physics.

Most pre-meds probably already have college credit from AP Calculus BC since many of them are overachievers. I got a 5 on that exam and so I placed into fairly advanced calculus courses.

thanks.

Yes. You are really missing out in life without it. If nothing else, at least derivatives and integration.

Most pre-meds probably already have college credit from AP Calculus BC since many of them are overachievers. I got a 5 on that exam and so I placed into fairly advanced calculus courses.

Clearly the OP doesnt have calc under his belt.

But to the op, it depends on if you feel like moving on to Calc based physics,which is really the only way you will be able to truly understand that which you are being taught.
For more trig based physics additional courses in calc will not help much at all.

Last edited:

thanks.

I think you should take it, not for the MCAT or for medical school, but for your major. If your major has the word physics in it, you should probably at least take calc II, and if possible calc III and differential equations as well. Believe me, it will be a huge help for those higher level physics-related electives that you might have to take.

However, all these classes are fairly difficult courses, so if you're absolutely horrible at calculus or math in general, avoid them for the sake of your GPA. But if you enjoy calculus and are willing to work hard, you can do fairly well in these classes. Also, perhaps med schools will look at your application more favorably if you take all the calculus courses.

Yes. You are really missing out in life without it. If nothing else, at least derivatives and integration.

I don't know that they are missing out in life. Some people don't like math (I'm a math luvurr, though).

I don't know that they are missing out in life.

For one, you don't get that cool gray book on the bottom of your bookshelf.

3511802187_c71a5059b2.jpg

The vast majority of medical schools do not require calculus (Harvard stands out as an exception, you should check requirements at schools you're planning to apply to), so you can get by without it. Knowing calculus is a nice bonus (and it makes more of the xkcd comics funny), but it can be difficult, and you may not want to risk your BCPM GPA.

That said, if your advanced physics classes recommend that you take calculus, I would either take it or not do that advanced class. Your call.

thanks.

I thought calc is a requirement for graduation w/ biochem/biophysics (biology or chemistry) degree... at least it is in my school. But lucky u if it not like that in yours ;). However, its always good to have lots of math classes

The vast majority of medical schools do not require calculus (Harvard stands out as an exception, you should check requirements at schools you're planning to apply to), so you can get by without it. Knowing calculus is a nice bonus (and it makes more of the xkcd comics funny), but it can be difficult, and you may not want to risk your BCPM GPA.

That said, if your advanced physics classes recommend that you take calculus, I would either take it or not do that advanced class. Your call.

If it is THAT difficult, why is it offered in 11th grade in HIGH SCHOOL?

Members don't see this ad :)

Not everybody is good at math even tho its offered in HS... I was retaking my calc and still didnt get a grade that i want so probably i will retake it one more time. However, i am not ******ed, stupid or something else i just dont like math, this subject simply not interesting for me, i fall asleep during the lecture.

thanks.

How can you be a biochem or biophysics major and not be required to take calculus or even a real intro physics class (calc-based)? Upper division physics requires, at minimum, multivariable calculus and differential equations... I'd be surprised if your school's physics department didn't require these.

Not only do most schools require calc for physics, but most require it for chem, biology, biochem, and most BS degrees, not to mention differentials. In order to succeed in these areas I would advise you do calc through level three.

Good Luck

The MCAT won't require it, so if your major doesn't require it either, then I'd say shmeh with it.

thanks.

But as a BB major, aren't you required to take: Differential, Integral, Vector, and Infinite Series? (bastards should have required diff eq as well, given pchem :mad:)... I wouldn't even have been allowed to take the non-physics calc. Though our program was weird in that it didn't require molecular biology, so maybe yours is weird in not requiring math. :smuggrin:

I thought calc is a requirement for graduation w/ biochem/biophysics (biology or chemistry) degree... at least it is in my school. But lucky u if it not like that in yours ;). However, its always good to have lots of math classes

As long as you're good at math. If it wasn't required it's not like most areas of medicine actually require calculus... right? If so, that sucks because I totally forgot most of it. :rolleyes: In oncology they had a physicist for that.

Some highschoolers are more intelligent than most adults. Actually, it seems many people become progressively dumber after schooling because they decide they're done learning.

Yeah, don't be a dick. I am not wrong. Go reread the OP and my post. It was already noted that the OP has fulfilled pre-med BS. The question was about upper level PHYSICS and whether or not we would recommend calc.

In case you missed it: "should i take a higher level calc course to set me up for the higher level physics i have to take??"

TL;DR: In "omg med school only" terms: You failed this VR section.

yeah, calc is necessary... though not hte calc based physics..

and if taking calc based physics, then atleast calc 1 must've been taken before calc based physics 1

thanks.

Yeah, don't be a dick. I am not wrong. Go reread the OP and my post. It was already noted that the OP has fulfilled pre-med BS. The question was about upper level PHYSICS and whether or not we would recommend calc.

In case you missed it: "should i take a higher level calc course to set me up for the higher level physics i have to take??"

TL;DR: In "omg med school only" terms: You failed this VR section
:sleep::sleep: Funny GUY!!:laugh:
I apologize for oming off as rude. I only responded to the ops title of the thread and did not read it thoroughly.
You are right and I again apologize for coming off as and/or being rude!

http://www.hartnell.edu/physics/courses.htm

I found that HS AP Calc was by far easier than Calc 1 in college.

I thought College calc was WAY easier than High School calc but my High School teacher beat it into us pretty good...

On that note, I absolutely hated math until I got to Calculus! Once you really understand it, it can be quite interesting.

If you are talking about if its necessary for admissions, I believe that many universities requires calculus, there are some that doesn't. If you have no problem taking calculus, or if you are good with calculus, I would suggest to go and take it, due to the fact it won't delay you and might benefit you too.

On that note, I absolutely hated math until I got to Calculus! Once you really understand it, it can be quite interesting.

I hopes that happens to me. I liked math until Calculus in high school, and am now taking it in college.

I really enjoyed Calculus. It made me a better thinker actually... but it wasnt easy.