Calculus I or Applied Calculus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovesurgeon

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was planning on doing Calculus I next semester but from what I've heard, its a tough course filled with physics and chemistry majors and the professors expect a lot from the students. On the other hand, Applied Calculus is a laid back class where you still have the work, but just not at the same intensity. The only major difference is that Applied Calculus is 3 credits but calculus I is 4 and has a recitation. Which course should I plan on taking? Do med schools care which one you take?

Members don't see this ad.

What does your major require? Calculus 1 is a lot more heavy of a course, as it is designed for people who will need to quantify natural forces and molecular phenomena for the rest of their lives. Applied Calculus covers a lot of the similar things except in a bit of a lower level, it doesn't use trig and it has likely more application for business, life science, and non engineers.

If you're not a math person and don't need Calc I for your major, take the applied calc class. A lot of schools have Calc for Biology... that you can take for your major, which will also count for a calculus class for medical school requirements (and usually is more helpful if you're not doing research in one of the chem/physics/engineering/math fields).

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of med schools won't take Business Calculus, which may be what your Applied Calculus is.

Not sure how your school works, but at mine the night class of Calc I was easier than the ones offered during the day (the professor didn't have to adhere to the department's guidelines or the insane departmental final). Maybe look into that? Or you can always take Calc over the summer at another institution where you know the class isn't brutal.

Most medical schools don't require calculus to begin with...

OP asked if med schools care which one you take, and the ones that require calculus don't want you to take business calculus. There are also schools that highly recommend calculus. Of course, you can just not apply to those schools, but your dream school may be in that bunch :)

The schools have been accepting my school's version of applied calculus, which is what they have both the biology and business students take.

Most medical schools don't require calculus to begin with...

Exactly. Many of them do require math based statistics. This is the only math requirement that I have seen. Take applied calc!

don't you need calc 2 and 3?

Nope. I think there were a few schools a few years ago who wanted Calc 2, but now many schools recommend Calc 1 and Statistics, or simply 2 semesters of math. You only take Calc 2+ if you want to or if it's required by your major.

The schools have been accepting my school's version of applied calculus, which is what they have both the biology and business students take.

Awesome! I had calc 4 years ago so I guess schools have let up on the requirements since then?

OP, you should just double check with your pre-health advisor before deciding.