Calculus Jitters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iheartpandp

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have to take Calculus next semester and I am a little scared. Math is NOT my forte. If anyone knows a good review book, software, or study tips I would appreciate it alot.

Members don't see this ad.

iheartpandp said:
I have to take Calculus next semester and I am a little scared. Math is NOT my forte. If anyone knows a good review book, software, or study tips I would appreciate it alot.

Study tip, do your homework, even if it doesn't have to be turned in. Work the problems. Then, when you study, work them again without turning to your notes. If you turn to your notes too often, you don't have it down.

Just my two cents. I just finished Calc on Wednesday.

jemc2000 said:
Study tip, do your homework, even if it doesn't have to be turned in. Work the problems. Then, when you study, work them again without turning to your notes. If you turn to your notes too often, you don't have it down.

Just my two cents. I just finished Calc on Wednesday.
Excellent advice! Also, if you're having trouble Calculus, be sure to ask for help. Go see your professor so they know you are trying or check into tutor services.

Members don't see this ad :)
Being proactive and doing a ton of problems is the way to go.
Also make sure you ask aroung about your teacher.
At my school there were 2 great teachers, and another who was a nightmare.
Sometimes you get recent graduates with strong foreign accents that, I guess after writing their thesis, have no patience with rest of us mortals and our struggles with simpler math. ;)

I understand that many people are nervous about calculus. I think calc has gotten a bad rap. It's not easy, but it's not impossible either. It helped me to spend time with it everyday, even for just an hour.

I usually only read most math books for the example problems in the chapter and skip the theoretical stuff. I found that I couldn't do that with calculus because calculus IS the theoretical stuff - there was always information buried in all those words that was useful for solving one of the stumper problems.

The math department of many schools offers free tutoring and/or peer study groups. There's no reason to struggle alone. Make it a party. :laugh:

Good luck. You'll do great. :)

Troy

twester said:
I understand that many people are nervous about calculus. I think calc has gotten a bad rap. It's not easy, but it's not impossible either. It helped me to spend time with it everyday, even for just an hour.

I usually only read most math books for the example problems in the chapter and skip the theoretical stuff. I found that I couldn't do that with calculus because calculus IS the theoretical stuff - there was always information buried in all those words that was useful for solving one of the stumper problems.

The math department of many schools offers free tutoring and/or peer study groups. There's no reason to struggle alone. Make it a party. :laugh:

Good luck. You'll do great. :)

Troy
calculus isn't even as bad as i thought it would be. however, be sure that you do your homework everynight! unless you're blessed with a teacher who explains it very well [like i was blessed].

oh but beward of average rate of change!

iheartpandp said:

I'm right there with you. Math was not kind to me this semester (C in College Algebra & C in Trig if I'm lucky :oops: ). I'm going to go to the library sometime before next semester starts and see if there are any books that can give me an edge for calc. Thankfully its my last math. :thumbup:

If you are not a good math student, the professor that you get could very well determine how well you do. There are two types of math professors.

A) The kind that will give exams based exactly on examples done in class.
B) The kind that create questions that you must apply your knowledge to answer, but are completely different than the examples in class.

If you get A), just work your ass off and do every question in the textbook. If you get B), you might be screwed. I had the latter this semester, and it was funny seeing people struggle.

iheartpandp said:

I am a math teacher... Calculus is my favorite. Please feel free to PM me at any time, as me any questions. I got a 99th percentile on the math section of the pcat, wish i had done so well on everything! I can show you some really great tricks, calculus is one of those things that can be really easy or really difficult depending on who shows you how to do it.

beccala33 said:
I am a math teacher... Calculus is my favorite. Please feel free to PM me at any time, as me any questions. I got a 99th percentile on the math section of the pcat, wish i had done so well on everything! I can show you some really great tricks, calculus is one of those things that can be really easy or really difficult depending on who shows you how to do it.

I'm taking Calculus next semester also, and may take you up on that offer too if its ok :)

beccala33 said:

Ditto here as well. I scraped an A in both algebra and trig, but I don't think I learned a lot. I tried calculus this semester, but was doing so badly that I dropped it. I need to take it again next semester and that is my last shot at it.

Chris

freshbeatschris said:
Ditto here as well. I scraped an A in both algebra and trig, but I don't think I learned a lot. I tried calculus this semester, but was doing so badly that I dropped it. I need to take it again next semester and that is my last shot at it.

Chris

Anyone who feels the need to PM me, FEEL FREE. I love calculus and would be happy to help. Please don't hesitate to ask :)

beccala33 said:

*cough*bragging*cough*

But seriously... if you could help me with my calculus homework that would be great. I need help solving the Riemann hypothesis :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Russell7 said:
*cough*bragging*cough*

But seriously... if you could help me with my calculus homework that would be great. I need help solving the Riemann hypothesis :(

I think beccala is great at offering help for anyone who needs it!! So keep it coming, beccala. :D

starrfishes said:
I think beccala is great at offering help for anyone who needs it!! So keep it coming, beccala. :D

I want to second this... beccala really is great! She helped me with some O Chem I! :thumbup:

starrfishes said:

I was referring to how baccala stated that he/she was in the 99th percentile for math.

Russell7 said:
I was referring to how baccala stated that he/she was in the 99th percentile for math.
I honestly wasn't trying to brag, I was just trying to be helpful. I appologize if it seemed like I was being snooty - that wasn't my intention...

Russell7 said:
*cough*bragging*cough*

As for the riemann hypothesis, send me your problems and I will try my best to give you some help / pointers.

I was joking about the Riemann hypothesis. It's never been solved ;)

Thanks though.

Russell7 said:
I was joking about the Riemann hypothesis. It's never been solved ;)

Thanks though.
I give an assignment every semester based on the Riemann hypothesis before we begin our discussion about area under the curve. I don't appreciate your sarcasm. I was only trying to be helpful.

starsweet said:
I want to second this... beccala really is great! She helped me with some O Chem I! :thumbup:

Me too! Beccala also helped me with some O-chem!

beccala33 said:
Anyone who feels the need to PM me, FEEL FREE. I love calculus and would be happy to help. Please don't hesitate to ask :)
Im taking my calc final, woudl you answer a question for me! :]

kevintech said:
Im taking my calc final, woudl you answer a question for me! :]
No problem, I would be happy to. You can ask me here or you can pm me.

beccala33 said:
I give an assignment every semester based on the Riemann hypothesis before we begin our discussion about area under the curve. I don't appreciate your sarcasm. I was only trying to be helpful.

I don't care if you don't appreciate my sarcasm. Learn to take a joke, and try to loosen up a little. Eh teach'?