calculus on PCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dissociate

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I havent been able to get a straight answer so this post is ONLY for people who have already taken the new version of the PCATS -- does it have calculus on the exam? i will not have a chance to take calc prior to taking my oct '05 pcats.

The test prep books I've looked over give different answers. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

dissociate said:
I havent been able to get a straight answer so this post is ONLY for people who have already taken the new version of the PCATS -- does it have calculus on the exam? i will not have a chance to take calc prior to taking my oct '05 pcats.

Well, I'm answering and I didn't take the new PCATs. :cool: First of all, all of your "straight" answers can be found on Harcourts website, which is linked in the PCAT FAQ of this forum, stickied at the top of the main page. Also, if you scroll down the main page of this forum (the only page I might add) there is at least one thread on this topic.

It appears that you are new to the forum, but I'm not sure how many people will be willing to help anyone who begins a post with "I haven't been able to get a straight answer..." Just a thought.

dissociate said:

It has some calculus. Not a lot. I just picked B for all of the calculus problems because I didn't have time to learn it before the test. I can't tell you want kind of calculus it was though.

FutureRxGal said:
Well, I'm answering and I didn't take the new PCATs. :cool: First of all, all of your "straight" answers can be found on Harcourts website, which is linked in the PCAT FAQ of this forum, stickied at the top of the main page. Also, if you scroll down the main page of this forum (the only page I might add) there is at least one thread on this topic.

It appears that you are new to the forum, but I'm not sure how many people will be willing to help anyone who begins a post with "I haven't been able to get a straight answer..." Just a thought.

Well I really wasn't able to get a straight answer because I perused the site before and there were mixed answers on the site about the calculus question. It wasn't meant to be "condescending". Some said it wasn't on the exam, others did. How else do you describe that sort of response?

Also your comment about answers being found on Harcourt's website isn't really relevant. There are tons of questions on here that can technically be found on other websites, like Harcourt's, yet people tend to find more reassurance in getting answers from people who have actually taken the exam and know first-hand from experience.

No, Im not new to the site. I just have a new username. I find that "teaching" me how to make posts is incredibly condescending on YOUR part. :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
All4MyDaughter said:
It has some calculus. Not a lot. I just picked B for all of the calculus problems because I didn't have time to learn it before the test. I can't tell you want kind of calculus it was though.

thanks. now that was HELPFUL.

dissociate said:
Well I really wasn't able to get a straight answer because I perused the site before and there were mixed answers on the site about the calculus question. It wasn't meant to be "condescending". Some said it wasn't on the exam, others did. How else do you describe that sort of response?

Then this would have been all I needed for a clarification on what you meant, for my wrongful assumption of what that part of your statement meant, I apologize.

dissociate said:
There are tons of questions on here that can technically be found on other websites, like Harcourt's, yet people tend to find more reassurance in getting answers from people who have actually taken the exam and know first-hand from experience.

True. However, I will reiterate that on the only page of this forum was a thread on calculus on the PCAT, and it also specifies this on Harcourt's website. I do recall your question being
dissociate said:
does it have calculus on the exam?

dissociate said:
No, Im not new to the site. I just have a new username. I find that "teaching" me how to make posts is incredibly condescending on YOUR part. :thumbdown:

Again, see my first reply in this post. My assumption that you were new stemmed from all but one of your posts being from today. I believe it was a fair, but pointedly wrong, guess.

dissociate said:
does it have calculus on the exam? i will not have a chance to take calc prior to taking my oct '05 pcats.

It does. Have you had precalc? If you have, it will help a lot. There were 2 or 3 ?s on base 10 logs, and questions on other topics that were covered in my high school precalc.
I'm sorry, I wish I could remember more about the calc questions to tell you.

I believe Harcourt says 30% Calc, hopefully these are just basic diff / integral questions. I'm kinda worried about it too, Ive already had calc 1 and 2 but dont have time to sit and review all of it.

Amith said:
I believe Harcourt says 30% Calc, hopefully these are just basic diff / integral questions. I'm kinda worried about it too, Ive already had calc 1 and 2 but dont have time to sit and review all of it.

It definitely wasn't 30% calculus in June. I didn't work out any of the calculus questions and I still got a good score in math.

There were some log (base 10) questions that I did answer - I learned that stuff in college algebra.

stuff like: log xy = log x + log y