Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Calculus Question

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by anotherlaw2doc, Apr 27, 2007.

1. anotherlaw2doc

Pre-Medical
    Long time lurker and first time poster. I have a question regarding calculus. I graduated in 1994 from the top public university and started out as premed. I got AP credit for calculus AB, which meant I got credit for Calc I. Took Calc II my first semester of college and got a D. Our math dept. was horrible, couldn't teach. Anyone that was truly interested in math at my school took them through the engineering school instead of the college. Too much partying and no studying resulted in me switching from pre med to pre law. Undergrad GPA sucked from the pre med classes but ended up at a Top 10 law school. Worked as a lawyer for few years at a Big DC firm and hated it and realized medicine has always been my first love.

So I am starting my postbacc classes this summer. I took Bio I, General Chem and one semester of Organic during college but since it was so long ago I'm planning on taking it all again. As you can imagine I haven't touched a math class since. I know not all medical schools require calculus and since I got AP credit for it I'd like to avoid taking a math class all together. My algebra is good and I have vague recollections of trig.

What I am worried about is Physics. I took AP Physics in high school, but that class was a joke. I'm planning on taking General Physics, which is non calculus based, in the fall. I'll be taking Chem I at the same time but I'm not too worried about Chem. How much of a disadvantage do you it will be for me not to have taken a math class in so long and do well in this course? Before the Calc II fiasco, I've always gotten As in all my math classes. I thought if I need to refresh my trig skills, I'd learn them on my own as the course went along.

Since my undergrad GPA sucks, it's important I do well in all these classes. Also, if I end up applying to schools that require Calculus, will my AP credit count? My college did give me credit for it and if it make a difference I also took statistics in college and got a B+.

Thanks in advance for all your responses and I apologize for the long and rambling post.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Johnny_D

Johnny_D Just strummin' away

Resident [Any Field]
    Non-calc based physics is heavy in trig. You should be able to do well if you refresh your trig as you go along. It is not that hard.

I don't know if your AP credits will count or not. Call the schools you are interested in and ask.