• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Calculus Req neccesary?

eliscord

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2005
    Im currently studying for the MCAT and will apply this comming summer. I have not taken calculus and was wondering if I should or if I should only apply to schools who do not require it. Also, if I was to take it, the class would be pending while my application is being reviewed. Will this exclude me from schools requiring calculus, seeing that I will have not COMPLETED the class. Thanks for your help!

vegangirl

DOctor begins with DO
    7+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Oct 3, 2003
    Milky Way Galaxy
      Calc is not necessary for most medical schoosl. take it only if you like math or if one of the schools your looking at requires it (i think about 20 do). otherwise i recommend taking a class like cell bio, genetics,or biochemistry since they are more useful for your future medical education.
      cheers

About the Ads

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
      Moderator Emeritus
      10+ Year Member
      Dec 20, 2004
      1. Attending Physician
        eliscord said:
        Im currently studying for the MCAT and will apply this comming summer. I have not taken calculus and was wondering if I should or if I should only apply to schools who do not require it. Also, if I was to take it, the class would be pending while my application is being reviewed. Will this exclude me from schools requiring calculus, seeing that I will have not COMPLETED the class. Thanks for your help!

Some schools require calculus (Harvard, UofTex come to mind, but there are others) while many just require two semesters of college math. Calc is not on the MCATs. You can apply with classes in progress, so if you are taking calculus the schools that require that will accept an application. I don't think people can really advise you as to whether it pays to skip calculus and apply only to schools that don't require it -- that depends on what kind of student you are, how good at math you are, and what schools you would want to attend. If you think you can do well at it, it seems silly to preclude yourself from applying to schools that require it.

Haven711

10+ Year Member
        5+ Year Member
        Jul 1, 2004
          If you haven't taken the course it doesn't exclude you from schools that require it. I haven't taken calc, and if I get into my one "calc" school AND decide to go there (either of which may not come to pass) then I am going to take it in summer school. It will be rough, but it is better than taking an unnecessary class.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
          Moderator Emeritus
          10+ Year Member
          Dec 20, 2004
          1. Attending Physician
            Haven711 said:
            If you haven't taken the course it doesn't exclude you from schools that require it. I haven't taken calc, and if I get into my one "calc" school AND decide to go there (either of which may not come to pass) then I am going to take it in summer school. It will be rough, but it is better than taking an unnecessary class.

So you would be taking two semesters of calculus accellerated within the span of a summer? Seems a little dicey, seeing as most acceptances are contingent on getting C or better in all remaining coursework, and you would have to give up all your remaining acceptances as of mid-May. Good luck with that.

DrDarwin

Naturally selected
            10+ Year Member
            5+ Year Member
            Nov 14, 2004
            Down House
              Haven711 said:

I assume you are referring to HMS. Have you verified the acceptability of this with the Admissions Office?

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
              Removed
              15+ Year Member
              Sep 30, 2003
              1. Medical Student
                eliscord said:

Not only is Calculus not required for the MCAT, it is not used in any regard whatsoever in Medical School.

Some schools require it, but almost all science degrees require it anyway.

I wouldn't take it unless the schools you are applying to specifically say you have to have it.

eralza

10+ Year Member
                5+ Year Member
                Jun 2, 2004
                Virginia
                1. Medical Student
                  I was accepted to a TX school, and I am currently finishing up a calc class. No, it is not required on the MCAT, and as the previous poster noted, it probably isn't used in med school. However, as I am taking the class, I am realizing that even if the mathematical theory aren't used directly, the thinking process is very useful. It is like o chem - probably not directly useful in curing disease, but helpful in forming your thinking process. JMHO

About the Ads
                  This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  7. This thread is locked.