Calculus Requirement question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

XavierFrost

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently filling out secondaries, and one of the schools I am applying to states that they require a full year of college calculus (not just college math). I took a semester of calc and a semester of bio stats. Should I fill out the secondary still, and contact the admissions office to inform them that I would take Calc II before matriculation if accepted? Or should I just not waste the money? Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Contact them first and see if they are lenient about this. Don't submit payment and waste money because you realize later on they do require a full year of calculus.

Contact the school and ask if they will accept stats. As for the secondary, can you do calc II if they say you need it? If you can fit it into your schedule, and are willing to take it, I say go ahead and fill out and send in the secondary. Even if you hate math, this school could be the one that let's ya in. Don't want to pass that up.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you can go ahead and fill out the app. Just know that if things go well, you'll probably have to take Calc II either next semester or in the summer.

It's not crucial you contact the admissions office about the requirements at this juncture, though you could to get ahead of the game. Next semester, if you really don't want to take calculus and it looks like they might accept you would be the time you need to see about the requirements.

I take it you're talking about HMS? You might be less competitive, but it probably won't mean an immediate rejection. I say apply and see what happens.

Five years from now, these secondary fees will be mere drops in the bucket.

my god this decision, forget the peeple talk and do the thing in the heart, but man right money come money go, is bucket drop for doctor. calc is like gpa clock choke is no good, i say porra an no take but i just FMG in future. good luck my fren

I say don't bother applying. The schools that require a year of calculus usually want to see how you do in it before they accept you. Unless you are registered to take Calculus II THIS semester and you state that in your application, it will be a waste of time. After all, if you were really interested in the school, then you should have been familiar with their requirements during the last three years..Not been harsh here, just real. You will be competing with people who have had their eyes set on that "specific school" for years!

wait so should we finish ALL pre-reqs before applying or what? i was planning on take some english senior year because i seriously hate english courses...