Calculus Requirement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flyingillini

Self Proclaimed Ninja
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that some med schools require a year of calculus. I am taking Calculus 134 this my freshman year this fall, which is also called Calculus for Social Scientists I. The follow up to this would be Calculus 244 which is also called Calculus for Social Scientists II. There is a much more rigorous calculus course, supposedly for engineers and math majors, which is Calculus 120, Calculus and Analytic Geometry I followed by Calculus 130, Calculus and Analytic Geometry II the next semester. Would Calc 134, and 244 fufill the med school requirement? My TA for some reason did not seem so sure that 134 was right so I need to confirm with others. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools DONT require calc (at least most that i applied to). You'll have to check out the schools websites or consult the MSAR and if you need more clarification, call them up. --Trek

i would take the easier of the calc classes. I took general calculus 1&2, instead of taking the biological calculus. As long as you have some calc background, i think you will be fine. Most med schools nowadays require a year of calc, so take the easier ones and get the A. I dont think the admission committees will really look that much on what type of calc as long as you made the good grade.
good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a new rule that the UofI for the class of 2006 and beyond that you must take a year of math, whatever math it may be. So, regardless, I will have to take calc. Fun fun.

i would take the easier of the calc classes. I took general calculus 1&2, instead of taking the biological calculus. As long as you have some calc background, i think you will be fine. Most med schools nowadays require a year of calc, so take the easier ones and get the A. I dont think the admission committees will really look that much on what type of calc as long as you made the good grade.
good luck

Trek is correct most schools do not require Calculus. I think that Harvard and possibly Duke are two that do. If they do require Calculus I am pretty sure that it is the Calculus and Analytic Geometry, at least that is the class that some pre-meds here at my school are taking to fulfill pre-reqs for specific schools. Your best bet is to check the MSAR and/or call the schools that you are considering.