calculus vs calculus and analytical geometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrp0pularrr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently registering for classes for this summer and I'm stuck. I know that certain schools ask for certain things but I want a "wiser" opinion from everyone on here. Which would be more beneficial? Which one has more opportunities as far as which schools require either one? Or, better yet, where can I find information pertaining to this?

Members don't see this ad.

no medical school requires analytical geometry. no medical school will ever require analytical geometry. my god, the carnage if they did.

i think you can run a google search for medical schools that require calculus, stuff will come up.

Yah.. take the regular calc class. Calc with analytical geo is probably going to be harder as it's probably your schools version of calc for engineers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yah.. take the regular calc class. Calc with analytical geo is probably going to be harder as it's probably your schools version of calc for engineers.
Statements like these confuse me. What exactly is calculus for non-engineers? Because my school has regular calculus (engineers, physics majors, chem majors, econ majors) and calculus for math majors. I can't really imagine what else it could be.

you have to read the course description in order to tell the difference or find similarities.

is there an off chance you happen to attend a public university in Florida?

if so, then you should take the Calc and Analy Geom class. You are correct in that you have to read course descriptions to know the differences. however, Med schools in this state are already aware that there are differences between Calc and Analy Geometry and Survey of Calculus and those respective course numbers on your transcript. I would be very, very careful with trying to pass off Survey of Calc or any other Calc course as "Calc 1". What we refer to as "Calc 1, 2, 3" are the calc and analy geom classes. In fact, at most schools here, only calc and analy geom has a part 1 2 and 3.

Ignore this if you are not a florida resident

Statements like these confuse me. What exactly is calculus for non-engineers? Because my school has regular calculus (engineers, physics majors, chem majors, econ majors) and calculus for math majors. I can't really imagine what else it could be.

My school has Calc for life science majors, Calc for business majors, and calc for physical science ( math included) and engineers.

I'd go the easier route, but are you sure there is no analytic geometry in the regular calculus? My school has calculus for bio sci students, but we also cover analytical geometry.

My school has Calc for life science majors, Calc for business majors, and calc for physical science ( math included) and engineers.
The calculus for math majors is heavily proof based, while the regular calculus is not at all. What exactly is calculus for life sci/business majors--just watered down?

The calculus for math majors is heavily proof based, while the regular calculus is not at all. What exactly is calculus for life sci/business majors--just watered down?

I don't think there is a major emphasis on proofs until after calc 2 at least. My school divides the calc's into 3 separate series ( Calc 1 and calc 2) to emphasize certain points which are more important for the takers. Ex. Calc for business majors does a lot more optimization and logarithmic functions and under emphasizes trig completely while calc for life sciences emphasizes mathematics used in biological studies. So basically it's watered down and more applied versus the calc for people who are going into the more mathematical fields.

no medical school requires analytical geometry. no medical school will ever require analytical geometry. my God, the carnage if they did.

i think you can run a google search for medical schools that require calculus, stuff will come up.

My friend obtained his MA in Mechanical engineering. He took Calc for Engineers and a, seemingly, H2O'd down version of Chemistry named Chemistry for Engineers. Engineers have a proclivity toward mathematics. So any engineering math course will probably have more of an emphasis on either an accelerated course or go more in depth mathematically.