Calculus vs Non-calculus based physics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

babytomato

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The professor who teaches calc-based physics is a better at teaching than the one who teaches algebra-based physics, so I'm leaning more towards taking the calc-based class. My question is: how in-depth does the calculus usually go? Is it mostly derivatives/integrals, area under curve, ...?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Please don't be offended but what does this topic have anything to do with dentistry?

The professor who teaches calc-based physics is a better at teaching than the one who teaches algebra-based physics, so I'm leaning more towards taking the calc-based class. My question is: how in-depth does the calculus usually go? Is it mostly derivatives/integrals, area under curve, ...?
I took calc based physics 1 during a summer session and I was so lost. I ended up making a C. I took algebra based physics 2 and ended up with an A. I know it doesn't exactly answer the question but I'm sure if you're good at calc you will be fine taking the calc based one.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took calc based physics 1 during a summer session and I was so lost. I ended up making a C. I took algebra based physics 2 and ended up with an A. I know it doesn't exactly answer the question but I'm sure if you're good at calc you will be fine taking the calc based one.
I thought Calc based physics courses are required for engineers, not pre-dents, in OP case, taking the Algebra based physics would be the right decision even if the teacher isn't as good.

I thought Calc based physics courses are required for engineers, not pre-dents, in OP case, taking the Algebra based physics would be the right decision even if the teacher isn't as good.
Yeah it's required for engineering students but I was in a bind and it was the only one they offered during the summer that satisfied the requirement, so I was forced to either take it or graduate late.

I think I took calc physics and I thought it was actually easier than my buddies in algebra physics. At least at UF we did the same stuff, but knowing calculus made a lot of the problems easier than trying to figure it out through algebra. My advice is to take the one you think you're more likely to get an A in.

Reactions: 3 users
Calc-based physics sounds like a better option then. Thanks, everyone!