Calculus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AngEyes00

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems as though a majority of the med schools do not require calculus as an admissions pre-req. How many of you have taken Calculus, what were your reasons for taking it, and do your prospective schools require it?

Members don't see this ad.

Very few schools require calc 2, but many require calc 1 or a year of math. If you think you aren't very good at math, you can fulfill most of the schools' math requirements by taking calc 1 and a semester of statistics, which is what I did. There were still a few schools I couldn't apply to b/c I didn't have calc 2. I would advise that you keep as many doors open as possible and at least take calc 1 and stats. Also, most schools require calc 1 before taking physics, which is required. Hope that helps.

I took Calculus 1 & 2 and Differential Equations. Calc1 AP in high school and the rest in college. Why? B/c

1. Calc 1&2 is a graduation requirement for all students from my undergrad
2. I like math
3. Diff. EQ was required for my then-major.

You're right: not all med schools require it, but there were a couple that required a full year of calculus. So if you're not applying yet and figuring out what to take (?), I'd suggest taking it. And, like irongirl mentioned, you need calculus for physics (and chemistry, too, depending on what level of chem you take).

Members don't see this ad :)
I took it because I had it in high school for two blocked semesters and because I didn't want take an easy math course for med school pre-reqs.

Also it gave me five credits...and those were five HONORS credits that counted not only for graduation, but also for an honors diploma.

Calc is super easy. Once you understand the concepts (that might be a little time consuming) you probably will find it a breeze.

Had Calc I and II and then a third semester of multivariable calculus my freshman year. I was dual math/physics major at that point in my collegiate career.

Calc I was required for my major, and took Calc II bec. it's a pre-req for Physics II. I enjoyed calculus and almost changed my major to math, but that would require an extra year and a half, so stuck with Bio.

I suggest that you at least take calcI. I took it b/c I was premed and several of my schools required it. That was my only math course and it was fine for most schools. Only a few require calcII.

I have no idea what this Calc I and II business is. I started off in Math 2C (third qtr calc) and then took Differential Eq then Linear Algebra and finally Calculus:Functions of Several Variables. Why all this punishment? I started off as a Biophysics major. Then I wised up and became a Biochem major - although all those math classes (and subsequent GPA drop) were not needed.

Andrew

placed out of Cal I, took Cal II and every math class under the sun after that.

Why?: I'm getting my MS this semester. Damn geek me.

I've taken calc I, II & III. All were required for my major.

Check this! My calc II prof was blind :eek: !!! He would try to verbalize calc, would write over stuff he already put on the board and would have his students verbally direct his hand when making graphs!!!! It was CRAZY! He also had every problem in the book memorized. You could say, "Dr. CalcDude, can you work problem 16C of chapter 14?", and he'd say, "Ah yes! That's a tricky one.". He'd then put every detail of the problem on the board! It was impressive, but he still couldn't teach worth a damn. I need visuals, not verbal calc.

Calc + Ti-92 = Not too shabby!

HP 49G not too shabby, neither!!

So what schools require a full year of calc? Harvard, I know, and WashU?

Harvard HST and WashU are the only ones for sure that I know of that require calc 2. But there might be a couple of others.

I have a TI-92 but its too bulky. Then I got a TI-89 which is really a better deal; it can do virtually everything the 92 can do plus its in the same form factor as a regular calculator. Harder to write programs since it lacks the QWERTY keyboard but oh well.

I only took calc I and will only take calc II during summer at a CC if accepted at Harvard.

I'm with kutastha. I don't know about all this Calc I and II business is.

I'm in 3B right now, starting with 3A. I decided it didn't want to use AP credit and skip one of the courses because:

1. Med schools require 1 year of college level calculus (to be safe). If I skipped 3A, I would of had to take an upper division math course to make a full year of math.

2. An easy "A."

I also plan to take a quarter of stats later on (cake).

uff, I took Calc 1, then I took Calc 1 again.
On a positive note, I got an A the second time. And I remember that at the time (the second time that is) it was one of my favorite classes. Darn thing is, I don't remember the first thing about Calculus any longer. I remember something about chain rules, and things coming nearer infinity but-not-quite. I'm pretty sure I once knew how to find the exact area beneath an arch, and within a cone (er, guess that would be volume). But since I haven't yet needed to find any of these things (and not nearly as often as I need to find my keys, or wallet) I kinda forgot how to do them. I still have my Calc book, and in fact practiced the first chapter last summer, in an effort to relearn/remember what I used to like about Calculus. But then *shrug* I think something came on T.V.

Originally posted by jiffy boy:
•I only took calc I and will only take calc II during summer at a CC if accepted at Harvard.•••

Thats my plan also jiffy boy - but unfortunately I will be sitting in on calc I this spring because I've forgotten it all