Calculus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MikeTheGipper

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if it is absolutely mandatory to complete a calculus course for as prerequisite to D.O. schools? Anybody matriculate without having completed a calculus course?

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering if it is absolutely mandatory to complete a calculus course for as prerequisite to D.O. schools? Anybody matriculate without having completed a calculus course?
I don't know about DO schools but as far as I know it Is a prereq for MD schools...

I don't know about med schools, but a lot of undergraduates are required to take 1-2 semesters of it for premed.

Calculus really isn't that bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know about DO schools but as far as I know it Is a prereq for MD schools...

For some MD schools......certainly not all. And I've never seen more than a semester required (altho there might be a few schools that I havent seen yet). Sometimes a semester of statistics is required too.

engineeredout said:
Calculus really isn't that bad

:bang:

Last edited:
I agree...Calculus I is not that bad...just the next step up
Calculus II is HE** in a bottle :boom:

I'm not sure about all of the med. schools having it as a requirement, but at my undergrad I do know that it is required to get my degree (B.S. in Biology). And as someone else said, it really isn't that bad of a course.

Has it ever occured to you all that maybe you are good at calculus?!?

To make a blanket statement such as "calculus is easy" or "calculus isn't that bad" is inconsiderate of others who may have worked their asses off to earn a B- or even a passing grade.

Calculus is not easy for the average person. How many people in the world will have actually taken a calculus course? let alone done well enough to claim "its not that bad."

Has it ever occured to you all that maybe you are good at calculus?!?

To make a blanket statement such as "calculus is easy" or "calculus isn't that bad" is inconsiderate of others who may have worked their asses off to earn a B- or even a passing grade.

Calculus is not easy for the average person. How many people in the world will have actually taken a calculus course? let alone done well enough to claim "its not that bad."

Fair enough ryserr. I'll change my previous statement to calculus wasn't that bad for me. :) I just really think that it's one of those classes that if you actually do the problems you can do well in it. I found this to be the case for all math classes I've taken. But I'm sure it does come easier to some more than others.

Fair enough ryserr. I'll change my previous statement to calculus wasn't that bad for me. :) I just really think that it's one of those classes that if you actually do the problems you can do well in it. I found this to be the case for all math classes I've taken. But I'm sure it does come easier to some more than others.

thats all i ask for :D. i agree that if you do the problems you can do well...but of course things are going to come easier if you are a hard worker and actually do the work you are supposed to do. :thumbup:

True but calc is one of those courses like orgo where people walk into it going
HOLY **** THIS IS GOING TO BE IMPOSSIBLE I AM GOING TO FAIL THERE IS NO WAY I'M GOING TO PASS THIS OMFG OMFG OMFG *stroke*

Granted calc II does suck balls, but the classes aren't impossible.

For most undergraduate degrees pursued by pre-meds calculus is required.
(I ended up having to take Calc 1 and Calc 2, I thought Calc 2 was easier it was all just the reverse of calc 1... but i digress).

I thought quite a few schools required calculus, but I couldn't tell you any off hand.

Calculus is what you make of it. You have to put the time in to succeed, you have to do your homework and you have to practice.

I think if calculus is so utterly impossible, then maybe you might find medical school equally impossible...

I guess i'm trying to say its a challenge but its do-able.