Cali residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UTsd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in both anesthesiology and radiology for residency. My fiance and I would love to go out to Cali for my residency. I've read that if you're not from the state, getting into a radiology residency in Cali would take an act of God, as those residencies are very regional in nature. How difficult are anesthesiology residencies in California to get into. Are they very regional in their acceptance habits? Fwiw, I just started 3rd year and have a 240+ on step1, top quartile of my class, no research.

Members don't see this ad.

There are PLENTY of out-of-state ppl in numerous different residencies at my university program with absolutely no prior ties to the state. As long as you are interested in the specialty, have good stats and personal communication skills you should be fine.

Research will help too.

California residency programs do not have a preference for CA residents, just strong applicants who have a reason to rank them highly.

Please do not your location preference influence the career you choose for the rest of your life, especially between two very different fields.

California residency programs do not have a preference for CA residents, just strong applicants who have a reason to rank them highly.

Please do not your location preference influence the career you choose for the rest of your life, especially between two very different fields.
I'm not letting location preference influence which one I choose. Just gathering information about the two. It seems like its a known fact that California radiology residency has a preference for CA people. Just wanted to know if it was the same for Anes.