CALIFORNIA Anesthesia Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rs2006

student
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am a fourth year med student thinking about possibly doing anesthesia and have been looking at california anesthesia residency programs and was wondering whether anyone knows what range of step 1 scores are required to get a residency in cali? Also, are there any anesthesia programs in cali that are not that competetive? Please help, thanks

Members don't see this ad.

When I did my anesthesia rotation, one of my attendings told me to apply anywhere but King/Drew, as it is known in the anesthesia community to put out incompetent doctors. Sounds pretty harsh, but he was emphatic (and not one to be melodramatic). Any comments???

I'm interested in the same.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Loma Linda's Step 1 average for people that matched this year was 230.

Loma Linda was 230?! That seems really high for anesthesia, is Loma Linda considered that competitive among anesth programs? Does anyone have any information on step1 cut-offs for other southern cali programs. my step1 score is close to 230, mid class rank, good recs, no pubs, us senior and I plan to take my step 2 later this year, most likely in november once interviews start. If anybody have any advice, please let me know. I am planning on ranking alll southern cali programs near the top. ucla>usc>uci>loma>habor>ucsd>nyc programs