California License

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smellycat

Lactose Intolerant
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need some help/clarification...
I was looking to apply for the California license and on the application (L3A/B) it says that there is a "general medicine training requirement." This says at least four months of actual clinical practice where the applicant has direct patient care responsibilities in any particular specialty or subspecialty.

How does someone in pathology fulfill this requirement if they took out the internship year in pathology? I did 4 years AP/CP. If anyone from California or has applied for this could please clarify or help, that would be super helpful.

Thanks in advance.:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like you didn't train in CA. I think your PD is supposed to send a letter to the board explaining your rotations. The board seems fairly lenient. I don't know how many months of BB you do, but that definitely counts as clinical medicine. Our PD usually had us do our BB rotations during the 1st or 2nd yr when people generally applied for licenses.

Since you're already finished, I'm sure other rotations would count also. It doesn't necessarily need to be one for one. For example, if you done bone marrow biopsies in HP, that can count. However, 1 month of HP wouldn't count for 1 month of clinical medicine (maybe 2 or 3). Also, DP can count if your rotation involves seeing patients.

I hope this gives you some ideas, though I'm not sure why you'd want to come to CA. The job market here sucks.

----- Antony

Need some help/clarification...
I was looking to apply for the California license and on the application (L3A/B) it says that there is a "general medicine training requirement." This says at least four months of actual clinical practice where the applicant has direct patient care responsibilities in any particular specialty or subspecialty.

How does someone in pathology fulfill this requirement if they took out the internship year in pathology? I did 4 years AP/CP. If anyone from California or has applied for this could please clarify or help, that would be super helpful.

Thanks in advance.:confused:

In pathology residency you have done 4 years of "clinical practice" with "patient care responsibilities". You should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info.