California MD-only Consideration

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Naijaba

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

I'm a Cali resident and I'm really starting to worry about getting accepted to an MD/PhD program. I have not received any UC interviews, and while I have received several notable MD and MD/PhD interviews at other schools, I worry that I may not be accepted to any of them.

My question is: Have any of you been rejected from a UC MD/PhD program but been granted an interview for the MD-only track? It seems like MD-only interview spaces are running out and they haven't even started evaluating MD/PhD applicants for MD-only.

If I am accepted as MD-only I intend to apply internally for the MD/PhD program...it would be helpful if I didn't have to pay out-of-state tuition for one or two years of medical school.

Edit: I have not been rejected from any UC either, I've just been in limbo for 3+ months.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sorry I can't directly answer your question, but just to say that I wouldn't be shy to call after 3+ months of limbo. You can also ask them about interview slots left and more specifically about the status of your app. Some schools will give this information while others won't, but it's worth a try to have an authoritative answer.

Edit to say: there is a previous but fairly recent thread on this by sanktank7 advising people in limbo to call. Also, for what it's worth, I've had pleasant or positive experiences with the two schools I called - with one, the office explained they were just backed up, and with the other, I was told that I couldn't be given any information 'at this time', but then received an interview invite less than a day later.

Last edited:
Hi Everybody,

I'm a Cali resident and I'm really starting to worry about getting accepted to an MD/PhD program. I have not received any UC interviews, and while I have received several notable MD and MD/PhD interviews at other schools, I worry that I may not be accepted to any of them.

My question is: Have any of you been rejected from a UC MD/PhD program but been granted an interview for the MD-only track? It seems like MD-only interview spaces are running out and they haven't even started evaluating MD/PhD applicants for MD-only.

If I am accepted as MD-only I intend to apply internally for the MD/PhD program...it would be helpful if I didn't have to pay out-of-state tuition for one or two years of medical school.

Edit: I have not been rejected from any UC either, I've just been in limbo for 3+ months.

Places like Irvine and Davis are known for being late starters. UCSF has almost (if not already) filled MSTP interview spots, and UCLA/UCSD/USC should be close to that point as well. Unfortunately, most UC admissions offices would not tell you the status of your application. You'll mostly likely get the standard "under review" response.

Members don't see this ad :)
For UC Davis at least, I got an email a couple weeks ago saying that they were not taking any MD/PhD students this year due to budgetary reasons, and to email the MD admissions office if you want to be considered for MD-only.

I'm in a similar boat. I actually had to call all the UC schools I applied to in order to get answers. UCSF was by email. UCSD I called on 11/23 and was invited for an interview, but I've yet to receive a formal email. So, I'd still be up in the air about that if I didn't call. UCLA I've pestered a bit and I get the 'still being screened' response. So for what it's worth, that's my experience. I'm still holding out on hearing something from UCLA, but I'm not counting on it. They only have one more interview session left.