California NAPLEX: Take in-state or out of state?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lexington2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to take the NAPLEX as soon as possible after graduation.

I've heard that it takes a long time to get the Authorization to test in California. I graduate in May in the state of Virginia.

Is it quicker to take the NAPLEX in Virginia and transfer the score to California? Or should I just take the test in California?

Also, would the same thing apply to the CPJE?

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn't matter where you take the test- you could take the NAPLEX in CA and if you claim VA as your primary state you will get your score faster than if CA was your primary state. Then of course you'll need to pay for a score transfer fee.

No matter where you take CPJE your license will still be bottlenecked by the CABOP taking it's sweet time to report out scores via mail.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm also trying to move back to California after graduation. Assuming that I'll declare my school's state (Let's say IL) as my primary state for NAPLEX purposes, should I bother taking IL's MPJE? Would I be able to reciprocate to states neighboring CA if I end up getting an IL license?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also trying to move back to California after graduation. Assuming that I'll declare my school's state (Let's say IL) as my primary state for NAPLEX purposes, should I bother taking IL's MPJE? Would I be able to reciprocate to states neighboring CA if I end up getting an IL license?

You can reciprocate IL license to CA, but you need to still to take CPJE. So, it would be easier for you just take NAPLEX and CPJE for CA.

How long would this
of course you'll need to pay for a score transfer fee.

No matter where you take CPJE your license will still be bottlenecked by the CABOP taking it's sweet time to report out scores via mail.

If the CPJE is the bottleneck, how long does it take to get your score? And how long after that until you get a license?

You can reciprocate IL license to CA, but you need to still to take CPJE. So, it would be easier for you just take NAPLEX and CPJE for CA.

I know I'm going to have to take CPJE. Pretty much just wondering if having a license from outside CA would be useful for anything in the future.

I had a license out of state (back East) that I let expire because I knew after staying here in CA that I won't be returning. Depends on where you are in your life. I think you may have to do certain types of CE (law CE?) to maintain license in other states. I didn't want to bother so I let mine expire.

Reactions: 1 user
If the CPJE is the bottleneck, how long does it take to get your score? And how long after that until you get a license?

Depends on when you take it and if the board is doing quality assurance during that time. Periodically they do QA and wait until a few hundred people take the exam before sending out scores. That way they can identify problem questions that nobody got right and whatnot. People have made a bunch of threads about it if you search SDN https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/cpje-august-qa-has-ended.1165662/

I plan to take the test in the middle of May. Surely I would beat most of the other applicants to the huge yearly CPJE rush? right?

I plan to take the test in the middle of May. Surely I would beat most of the other applicants to the huge yearly CPJE rush? right?
I just took the CPJE this past cycle. CPJE updated their exam in April 2016. Since then, they've been allowing students to take the exam every-other-month (even numbered month; i.e. April, June, Aug...) and during the other months (odd months, May, July, Sept...) they would release the score around the week of the 20th. So technically they never had a QA period.

Also FYI though, once my school sent my transcripts I think it took like 3 weeks to be able to schedule the CPJE but like 1.5 months to get my ATT for the NAPLEX (as a graduate of a non-Californian school)

Last edited:

You won't be taking the CPJE in May unless your school is sending the CABOP proof of your graduation in March or April (I've heard UCSF does this and their students sit for the exams as early as June).

Sitting for CPJE in late July- early August is the best case scenario being an OOS applicant.