California optometrist

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aladdinboy12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Scope of practice depends state by state. California seems to be the most restrictive state to practice than most. What can most optometrists do in other states which California optometrists can't? Also does anyone expect California to expand the scope in the future?

Members don't see this ad.

Scope of practice depends state by state. California seems to be the most restrictive state to practice than most. What can most optometrists do in other states which California optometrists can't? Also does anyone expect California to expand the scope in the future?

Big mistake. This is not the way you need to think about this problem.

Yes, some states are a bit better than others and CA is definately one of the worst. But the question you need to be asking is can ODs be admitted on to medical plans in the area you want to practice in. If they can't, then your scope of practice won't make a lick of difference.

Big mistake. This is not the way you need to think about this problem.

Yes, some states are a bit better than others and CA is definately one of the worst. But the question you need to be asking is can ODs be admitted on to medical plans in the area you want to practice in. If they can't, then your scope of practice won't make a lick of difference.

I have asked my optometrist this question and he said they are on medical plans. I was just wondering if some CA optometrists are having trouble getting on medical plans?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have asked my optometrist this question and he said they are on medical plans. I was just wondering if some CA optometrists are having trouble getting on medical plans?

The question needs to be:

1) Are you on the medical plans you want to be on? What happens if there is only one that you can't be on but it's the dominate plan in the area?

2) Is that plan credentialing NEW providers? IN other words, will YOU be able to get on when you want to?

The question needs to be:

1) Are you on the medical plans you want to be on? What happens if there is only one that you can't be on but it's the dominate plan in the area?

2) Is that plan credentialing NEW providers? IN other words, will YOU be able to get on when you want to?

Thanks for clearing that up. I completely understand now.

Hi Khe,

How does one determine which plans dominate an area? And how do you find out if they are credentialing new providers?

Let's try it this way...

First....you post how YOU would go about obtaining this type of information and then I will post the way that I would or have done it in the past.

Hmmmm, I might try attending a local society meeting and ask some local optometrists there to find the dominate medical panels.

Then I would call up the medical panels and inquire about signing up with them as a fresh graduate.

How would you go about it?

Hmmmm, I might try attending a local society meeting and ask some local optometrists there to find the dominate medical panels.

Then I would call up the medical panels and inquire about signing up with them as a fresh graduate.

How would you go about it?

Both excellent ideas! :thumbup:

You may not need to attend a meeting though. The dominate medical plans in the area can usually be found out be contacting the chamber of commerce and often times, your state insurance commissioner will have a website that will list this information but it may not break down by town. Check with them too though.