California optometry law exam: Plz help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

novdoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi you all! I'm a new grad & want to take CA law exam. I've been studying the CA law book 2011 & updated laws from CA board websites. But the study guide from that website worries me a lot. I would appreciate any advises or suggesstions. Thanks!:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm also planning to take this very soon. According to the study guide it seems more like NBEO part II than it does a laws test. Any help is appreciated thanks!

I took it, and most of the questions are from two main areas (the page numbers refer to the CA Laws and Regulations, 2011 edition; the first number is the page number at the bottom of the document, and the number in parentheses is the number of the PDF):

1. What procedures an optometric assistant can perform, page 73 (93), Section 2544.

2. When you must refer to ophthalmologist, pages 85-87 (105-107), Section 304.

There are plenty of questions from other areas, but they're all patient-related, practical questions, and nothing about how the board is organized or anything like that. There's also some questions on whether an action is professional inefficiency or professional misconduct or gross negligence or something else, but I couldn't find anything on that in the 2011 edition, so maybe they got those from somewhere else.

Here's a little list I made that covers when you have to refer to an ophthalmologist:
2 days: Central corneal ulcer, preseptal cellulitis, or dacryocystitis (not improved)
3 days: Uni nongran idiopathic iritis, periph corneal inflam keratitis, traumatic iritis (worsens)
1 week:Traumatic iritis (not resolved), HSV or VZV keratitis (not improved), HSV or VZV conjunctivitis, periocular (worsens)
3 weeks: Allergy tx with topical steroid (worsens), uni nongran idiopathic iritis (not resolved), HSV or VZV keratitis, HSV or VZV conjunctivitis, periocular (not resolved)
6 weeks: Uni nongran idiopathic iritis (still receiving meds)
1 year: Uni nongran idiopathic iritis, episcleritis (re-occurs)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi. I am about to take the exam and would really appreciate your feed back Thank you.

I am about to take this exam and graduated a very long time ago (1994) so any input regarding this exam would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

I took it in October. The advice in this thread is pretty spotless and I thought the exam was fairly easy.